FreeCAD _ LinkStage3: Design using the boolean tools in PartDesign workbench

Show off your FreeCAD projects here!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
obelisk79
Veteran

Re: FreeCAD _ LinkStage3: Design using the boolean tools in PartDesign workbench

Post by obelisk79 »

Thank you, however that unfortunately doesn't cover the shadow rendering setup.

I think I've gotten fairly close on the 'ambient occlusion' type effect, however I cannot seem to find the setting to allow lines to show in shadow mode.

Hopefully OfficineRobotica could share the details, or perhaps even make another video regarding how to set this up.

Thank you for the response though.
obelisk79
Veteran

Re: FreeCAD _ LinkStage3: Design using the boolean tools in PartDesign workbench

Post by obelisk79 »

Here is what I've managed to get so far.
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (402.98 KiB) Viewed 2661 times
mfro

Post by mfro »

OficineRobotica wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:39 am...
-try to select anything(face/edge/vertex) from the "BaseFeature" of the newly created body -> the whole geometry gets selected !!!
-point the cursor at a face and click -> create sketch ...the sketch gets created on the correct face although the whole geometry was highlighted
-similarly try with an edge -> chamfer .... it will fail because I think that now it takes in to account the whole selection
Shouldn't the selection view show you what is really selected if in doubt?
Cheers,
Markus
OficineRobotica

Post by OficineRobotica »

obelisk79 wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:00 am
Wow....that looks like a theater scene . Nice.

My settings for this particular file are thees:
ShadowSettings.jpeg
ShadowSettings.jpeg (291.45 KiB) Viewed 2614 times
I use diffuse instead of spot light.
Notice the light color in the right panel. [rgb=153,153,140] It is intentionally set to a dark shade to not blow up the specular on objects. I noticed that this is a "problem" when in shadowed display mode. Also darker shades on objects(CTRL-D) helps with the right amount of specular. At the moment I don't think this should be reported as, hopefully, there will be changes down the line. @realthunder already has allot on his mind to bother with this.

Notice also that the vast majority of my models use that orange/brown shade as body color. It is the same color that sculpt applications use to imitate clay(Blender, Zbrush). In my opinion it is the best color to kinda fake ambient occlusion in combination with a dark shade ambient color.

Colors used for bodies in this file:
rgb=255,186, 125
rgb=207, 184, 153
rgb=174, 155, 255

I hope that helped. Cheers.
Check out my Youtube channel at: https://www.youtube.com/@OficineRobotica
OficineRobotica

mfro wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:47 am Shouldn't the selection view show you what is really selected if in doubt?
Tbh I haven't tought about that. Anyway, it was just a small bug limited to the selection of a base feature, already fixed in the latest release. There were 2 daily releases in the last 3 days I think. Damn....@realthunder is a coding machine.
OficineRobotica

obelisk79 wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:41 am however I cannot seem to find the setting to allow lines to show in shadow mode.
I skipped that part somehow. There is a global setting for that in Edit -> Preferences -> Display -> DrawStyles- > Shadow -> Display mode . You can also set the same option on a per body basis by selecting your geometry and setting the "DisplayMode" parameter in the "ComboView" View Tab.

Also play with combinations of the light intensity and direction in conjunction with the light color. I get good results with dark yellowish shades and higher light intensity. If you haven't already knew that, while in shadowed mode, if you click again on the shadow icon in the top bar, you bring up the light direction manipulator. Press ESC to register your changes after you chose the desired direction.

Yes, a video could be helpfull to explain all those options but there might be changes so I'm holding it back for a bit ;)
txemagon

Post by txemagon »

Wow. I'm mesmerized with the tutorial.

However, I used 2021 realthunder's FreeCAD instead of the one shown in the video (2020) and I came across a major difference.

I'm not currently able to pocket the shell BaseFeature for the screws. I've tested this issue on simpler projects and I found that if a chamber is made over the base feature of a solid, then it "becomes a real solid" and can be pocketed. Otherwise it complains about no surfaces to perform action

I guess this is a new feature / issue of the version. But if someone else has followed the tutorial with the asm3-stable-conda-Py3 version, I'd like to hear.

By the way I'm on Linux with python 3.9.3 but anything looks buggy on there.

Thx to all.
OficineRobotica

txemagon wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:59 pm Wow. I'm mesmerized with the tutorial.

However, I used 2021 realthunder's FreeCAD instead of the one shown in the video (2020) and I came across a major difference.
Thank you for your kind words. Allot has changed in the PartDesign tools of LinkStage3 since that video. I was annoying enough so that Realthunder gave up and implemented some changes based on feedback from that model. So I contributed that to the community lol . I can't stress enough how responsive and all around a good person Realthunder is.

Anyway, don't follow that tutorial any more. I just published the first part in a new series where I use the new tools with better workflows. The second part is coming really really soon and hopefully will adress some of your perplexities. Also be aware that LinkStage3 is a development branch so bugs are to be expected :)

phpBB [video]