Parametric (Mostly) Carport

Show off your FreeCAD projects here!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
tbratten

Parametric (Mostly) Carport

Post by tbratten »

I designed a free standing carport that has many parametric (variable) features. You can quickly modify the length, width and height of the carport. You can also modify the roof pitch and dimensions of many of the objects in the model. I developed a new (at least to me) way of using a SS to make it easier for me to work in US units as well as implementing the parametric values.

I am relatively new to FC (~2 months, off and on). More experienced users will likely find a lot of things in my model that could be done better. I don’t present my model as an example of “the best” way to do things in FC. I share it in hopes that it will inspire someone else with some new ideas and also to solicit constructive feedback as to ways I can improve my knowledge and productivity in using FC.
I attached the FC file as well as a PDF with more detailed information.

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.22039 (Git) AppImage
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 2bfc6301bc80c0344cbf13dbfe041fbd78cac93d
Python version: 3.8.2
Qt version: 5.12.5
Coin version: 4.0.0
OCC version: 7.4.0
Locale: English/United States (en_US)
Attachments
Parametric (Mostly) Carport.pdf
(385.36 KiB) Downloaded 270 times
Carport.FCStd
(48.6 KiB) Downloaded 190 times
hast66

Re: Parametric (Mostly) Carport

Post by hast66 »

Thank you very much for sharing your knowledge.
But, maybe it's me, being a FC novice, I see nothing Image
Attachments
carport.png
carport.png (168.03 KiB) Viewed 3818 times
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Try the FitAll icon to recenter 3D view. The Cylinder you are trying to move seems to be invisible, but I may be mistaken from the screenshot.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Gregory son of Carl

Post by Gregory son of Carl »

I'm also having problems loading the model in version 0.19. FreeCAD isn't recognizing the draft objects and is giving me 'ModuleNotFound' errors.

Code: Select all

<string>(1)<class 'ModuleNotFoundError'>: No module named 'draftobjects.clone'
<string>(1)<class 'ModuleNotFoundError'>: No module named 'draftobjects.array'
<string>(1)<class 'ModuleNotFoundError'>: No module named 'draftviewproviders.view_clone'
<string>(1)<class 'ModuleNotFoundError'>: No module named 'draftviewproviders.view_draftlink'
CarportLoadingErrors.png
CarportLoadingErrors.png (59.82 KiB) Viewed 3786 times
Aside from that, I appreciate the report you included with your project. It paints some nice insight into the new user experience. The advice I have from just reading your report is that using tools across different workbenches is generally fine and often encouraged with a notable exception of mixing the Part and PartDesign workbenches. I'd also like to praise your section titles for being written in glorious comic sans. :mrgreen:
tbratten

Post by tbratten »

I just downloaded the FC file that I posted (to a different location) and it opens fine.

@hast66
I don't understand why your combo view tree shows all those "Unnamed" objects. I see nothing like that in my model. Are you using V.19?

@Gregory son of Carl
Again, no idea why you're getting errors. I'm using a Linux App Image, V.19. Perhaps there is some bundling included that isn't included in other downloads? Just guessing. Others more knowledgeable about the packages might have some insight.
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

I downloaded the FCStd file, opened it, and took a screen shot. I did nothing else. Looks fine to me.

Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (44.15 KiB) Viewed 3667 times

Version: 0.19.22111 (Git)
Branch: master
Hash: cb2099aa6bb287a8d7843eb70684cce79bdef26b
Python version: 3.6.8
Qt version: 5.12.1
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/United States (en_US)

Gene
hast66

Post by hast66 »

I re downloaded and tied again but got the same result.
Does in it only goes well in 0.19. I have 0.18

Version: 0.18.4 (GitTag)
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-18
Hash: 980bf9060e28555fecd9e3462f68ca74007b70f8
Python version: 3.6.6
Qt version: 5.6.2
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: Dutch/Belgium (nl_BE)
Gregory son of Carl

Post by Gregory son of Carl »

Alright, it's working now. Just needed to download the latest development AppImage.
I'd say this is a pretty stellar model. The tree is well organized and the part names make it easy to interpret and relate to the spreadsheet parameters. The spreadsheet offers a robust amount of adjustments and updates seem pretty stable when I'm not deliberately trying to break it. One thing I felt was missing from the spreadsheet is the ability to adjust the spacing/number of middle rafters. That said, I have no idea what makes a good carport, but this seems like a decent tool for starting such a project. Thank you for sharing your work. Here's where I'm gonna park my Dodger Dog.
Attachments
ChapelOfTheDogs.png
ChapelOfTheDogs.png (13.69 KiB) Viewed 3574 times
iskanderpizza

Post by iskanderpizza »

Ok, that does look complicated. I would like to build a new carport near my house, but I am not sure I will be able to plan it out and build it all by myself entirely.
The carport I have near my house was made by carportaustralia.com.au, and I will ask them for help this time, too. At least for the project because I don’t know what materials to use and how to do the math, so it’s cheaper to build it.
I want to build another one because my elder son has a car too and I want him to have a place to store it too. And when he moves out, it will be a place for my tractor and other stuff.