Cycloidal Rotor Sketcher Constrained Animation

Show off your FreeCAD projects here!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
louisgag

Cycloidal Rotor Sketcher Constrained Animation

Post by louisgag »

Screenshot from 2020-02-21 15-54-46.png
Screenshot from 2020-02-21 15-54-46.png (12.7 KiB) Viewed 3353 times
Here is nothing spectacular, but rather because I needed to do Geometric constraint solving in a simple way.

This allowed me to better visualize the mechanism for pitch control of a cycloidal rotor for my current project: A Novel and Simple Aircraft Requiring Minimal Power to Hover.

Here is the resulting video which I animated using a fairly simple loop that I directly write in the Python console, something along the lines of

Code: Select all

import time
n=1;
App.ActiveDocument.Sketch.setDatum('pitchRodXorig',App.Units.Quantity(str(0)+' mm'))
App.ActiveDocument.Sketch.setDatum('pitchRodYorig',App.Units.Quantity(str(0)+' mm'))
for X in range(-10,10,2):
   App.ActiveDocument.Sketch.setDatum('pitchRodXorig',App.Units.Quantity(str(X)+' mm'))
   for i in range(0,720,5):
      App.ActiveDocument.Sketch.setDatum('rotationControl',App.Units.Quantity(i/180*3.1416))
      Gui.activeDocument().activeView().saveImage('/home/louis/Pictures/cycloFreeCAD/test'+str(n).zfill(4)+'.png',800,600,'Current') # to save image...
      n+=1;
#      time.sleep(0.005)

for Y in range(-10,10,2):
   App.ActiveDocument.Sketch.setDatum('pitchRodYorig',App.Units.Quantity(str(Y)+' mm'))
   for i in range(0,720,5):
      App.ActiveDocument.Sketch.setDatum('rotationControl',App.Units.Quantity(i/180*3.1416))
      Gui.activeDocument().activeView().saveImage('/home/louis/Pictures/cycloFreeCAD/test'+str(n).zfill(4)+'.png',800,600,'Current') # to save image...
      n+=1;
#      time.sleep(0.005)
which allows me to see the rotation and the effect of moving the central point of attachment of the mechanism over the pitch angles of the blades as they rotate around the other central point...

I did it with FreeCAD version 0.18.4 on Ubuntu Linux. I use more computers, so not sure whether locale/build info can really be useful here! I'm attaching the FreeCAD file instead (I am licensing it under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License). and warn that some "tuning" to the given Python script may be required, it seems to be very sensible to changes in the file!
Attachments
essaiMecanismeCyclo2_mehrBlaetter_Zusammen.fcstd
(9.34 KiB) Downloaded 78 times
louisgag

Re: Cycloidal Rotor Sketcher Constrained Animation

Post by louisgag »

Heres a new version, main difference: the blue point makes it easier to see what the mechanism does.
kisolre
Veteran

Re: Cycloidal Rotor Sketcher Constrained Animation

Post by kisolre »

Please update if/when there is a working model :)