Sheet metal WB 2018

Show off your FreeCAD projects here!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
-alex-
Veteran

Re: Sheet metal WB 2018

Post by -alex- »

Kunda1 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:40 pm
-alex- wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:08 pm Here I would like to share some sheet metal stuffs.
Please post your work to both the tutorial subforum and the User Showcase forum. Thanks!
Later I will copy the tutorial threads of this topic in the Tutorial subforum, when my global sheet metal workflow will be reliable and more convenient.
For now I post here some pictures and few explainations time to time.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

-alex- wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:08 pm Here I would like to share some sheet metal stuffs.
Nice!
-alex-
Veteran

Post by -alex- »

NormandC wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:56 pm
-alex- wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:27 pm Unfortunately I guess that does not solve the problem. This kind of features (loft, sweep) balance the numbers of faces beetween each profile. So you get faces with 4 vertexs, not flat. I need to get triangular faces, from a set of edges (90° arc length) to a single corner of the rectangle. Otherwise the unfold feature of sheetmetal WB fails.
I understand now, you are creating multiple planar triangular faces that meet in a single vertex. Yeah, that will be a tough nut to crack... Even if you manage to create those faces parametrically, I'm not sure you can create a parametric shell from them...
Hope to see you back again on this forum someday @NormandC ;)
Now there is an available fully parametric workflow :D https://www.forum.freecadweb.org/viewto ... 40#p446006 (broken) : https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 74#p446006
Thanks to great behavior of subshapebinder feature, but works only with FC Linkstge3 branch of @realthunder for now, someday will work with FreeCAD master as well I hope :roll:
janifr

Post by janifr »

Hi all!

This is my first post here, and I have zero experience of 3D modelling. I'm not a mechanical engineer, I'm electrical engineer instead and have experience of 2D CAD software.

I'm trying to do something similar -alex- did in the first post, but I don't exactly know how I should do it. Can I ask some advice?

Im using 0.19 24291 git on Windows 10 if that matters.
spanner888

Post by spanner888 »

janifr wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:21 pm I'm trying to do something similar -alex- did in the first post, but I don't exactly know how I should do it. Can I ask some advice?
You need to learn some FreeCAD basics and especially get some practice in using FreeCAD to model before you try anything beyond the basics, ie walk before you run!

Get familiar with this page, then spend some time on the learning the sketcher, then do lots of practice. Make sure any examples or tutorials are for a very recent version of FreeCAD (0.19 or 0.20).
Search the forum for examples and other user questions and you will find a lot of examples and discussion on different ways to model different challenges.

Then try your design.
-alex-
Veteran

Post by -alex- »

janifr wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:21 pm Can I ask some advice?
@spanner888 told you good advices, you have to learn basics of FreeCAD first.
Then you can also download sample files in sheetmetal thread in order to study them. For that you can hide and show features (space bar shortkey) to see how is the workflow, step by step.
Here is the Sheetmetal main thread: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=60818
Here is an example of fully parametric squarreround part: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 74#p446006
For this example you will need to use the Linkstage3 branch of FreeCAD though.
Enjoy FreeCAD ! ;)
Last edited by -alex- on Sun Oct 31, 2021 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
janifr

Post by janifr »

Thanks for your help.

I partially succeeded what I'm trying to do. Learning more.
huuvaunfold.PNG
huuvaunfold.PNG (10.29 KiB) Viewed 2688 times