Curved Text: String Sticker

Show off your FreeCAD projects here!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
JMG

Curved Text: String Sticker

Post by JMG »

Hi all.

I've made a script that rolls a text string around a cylindrical surface, like this:

But it can roll sketches too:

It works by creating Bsplines across discrete points projected into the cylinder in a more-less complex way (I'm sure there are easier ones )
Next step is to do something to extrude this splines and add support to circular edges.

I've posted more about it and the code of the string sticker script on my blog :)

UPDATED:

Sketch to rolled frame:

I need to automate the creation of the solid body from a frame made of edges. Any ideas?
Regards, Javier.
Last edited by JMG on Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
FreeCAD scripts, animations, experiments and more: http://linuxforanengineer.blogspot.com.es/
Open source CNC hot wire cutter project (NiCr): https://github.com/JMG1/NiCr
Exploded Assembly Workbench: https://github.com/JMG1/ExplodedAssembly
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Re: Curved Text: String Sticker

Post by DeepSOIC »

Wow! Cool!
Pepetranca

Post by Pepetranca »

Tengo un ordenador con Windows 10 Home, versión 2004, sistema operativo de 64 bits y con Freecad versión 0.19. El programa funciona perfectamente, hago un sketch con un texto, lo pongo dentro de un rectángulo en construcción, selecciono la superficie curva de un cilindro y el sketch pero cuando pulso el comando "text on a surface" en la consola de python me sale el mensaje: list index out of range. Failed to get the face support of the sketch. Por más que repaso las instrucciones no encuentro la manera de conseguir que funcione. ¿Me puedes ayudar?

I have a computer with Windows 10 Home, version 2004, 64-bit operating system and with Freecad version 0.19. The program works perfectly, I make a sketch with a text, I put it inside a rectangle under construction, I select the curved surface of a cylinder and the sketch but when I press the command "text on a surface" in the python console I get the message: list index out of range. Failed to get the face support of the sketch. As much as I go through the instructions, I can't find a way to get it to work. Can you help me?
Chris_G
Veteran

Post by Chris_G »

Pepetranca wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:14 pm Can you help me?
Hello,
From what you are describing, I have the feeling that you are using "Sketch_on_Surface" from Curves Workbench, rather than the above script.
If I am right, then you must edit the "Support" property of your sketch, and set it to point to the target face.