BOLTS for architectural components?

A forum dedicated to the Draft, Arch and BIM workbenches development.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Moult

BOLTS for architectural components?

Post by Moult »

This discussion came up on OSArch: https://community.osarch.org/discussion ... t-for-plan just wondering if others think it makes sense to include architectural components in BOLTS? Things like standard bed sizes, basic table sizes, sanitary fixtures, etc.

There is a lot I still don't understand in the BOLTS repo and would love to have a voice call with a maintainer to understand it more and how to contribute better :) Right now there is work being done on https://github.com/boltsparts/BOLTS/issues/251
bernd wrote:ping
I also blog about 3D rendering, architecture, software and other on thinkMoult.com. RSS / Atom feed available for your convenience.
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: BOLTS for architectural components?

Post by Kunda1 »

Great inquiry! I hope bernd responds.
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

It may make more sense to include such objects in the FreeCAD library.
https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD-library
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=72634

The current files in "Architectural Parts" are not that great. Many of them are quite old and use techniques that are not allowed in the current FreeCAD version.
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

@Roy_043:

have a look at BOLTS. It is totally different from FreeCAD library as it does create the geometry on run time from parameter. Means if a table was in BOLTS one could create the tabel of any measurement he likes because the geometry is created on runtime.
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

@Moult:

I am on the phone and can not log into github because of authentification ... :(

ATM only parts which are part of a design code are in BOLTS. Means adding all the Australian Profiles would be great. In the regard of maintainer. jreinhardt has started the project and has done 95 % of the code. I contributed a lot of profiles because I made heavy usage of BOLTS. Around 2016 jreinhardt stoped any development at all. I just continued fixing a lot, mostly in the regard of python 3 because I just wanted to continue to use it. In 2019 jreinhardt did do another dev period.

I try to answer more on github if I am on a computer.

cheers bernd
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

Ahh and I gave BOLTS a new home because the old one was offline. Furthermore we moved BOLTS repo away from jreinhardts private github to a separate general BOLTS repository. Thus jreinhardt and me we both are maintainer ATM.

sure we could go for a voice call ...
Moult

Post by Moult »

Awesome! Yes I understand BOLTS seems primarily for standardised technical specs, but I wonder if the scope could be extended to include not just design codes but supplier catalogues. For example in Australia there is Caroma which supplies a lot of sanitary fixtures and is a pretty good "goto" for all architects. Similarly there are wall partition catalogues by Gyprock which are heavily used. Yes it's not a "DIN" or "ISO" but in Australia we don't have "HEA/HEB/etc" even for steel profiles, we just have "Bluescope" the monopoly supplier :) so in practice it is almost equivalent.

If you're online would love to catch up on https://osarch.org/chat for live chat or any other platform you prefer, I've got quite a few questions about how the code is organised.

BTW Australian steel PR here: https://github.com/boltsparts/BOLTS/pull/252
I also blog about 3D rendering, architecture, software and other on thinkMoult.com. RSS / Atom feed available for your convenience.
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

The main question is not if we would integrate non standard parts but how? 8-) The reason is because the standard is everywhere in the code.

ATM I am in family vacation. In a few days I will be more active ...

BTW: the hot rolled sections are in a standard, but there are a lot of sections here too, which will be available only be a few custumers and which are in no standard at all. They should go into BOLTS as well.
Moult

Post by Moult »

@bernd can we perhaps organise a voice call when you're back from vacation to see how this may or may not work? I'm in the Sydney timezone.
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

Trying to install - it is BOLTSFC in FC Add-on right?

Some hiccups, any idea ? :)

Screenshot from 2022-10-21 11-49-40.png
Screenshot from 2022-10-21 11-49-40.png (31.42 KiB) Viewed 2377 times
Screenshot from 2022-10-21 11-50-29.png
Screenshot from 2022-10-21 11-50-29.png (156.14 KiB) Viewed 2377 times