Spaces computed incorrectly

A forum dedicated to the Draft, Arch and BIM workbenches development.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
sanzo

Spaces computed incorrectly

Post by sanzo »

Hi!
I finally managed to try FreeCAD Arch and BIM workbenches to reproduce the model of my new apartment.

I'm trying to get the room volumes and vertical areas, but if I define the spaces by selecting the walls, I got this strange result:
Screenshot from 2022-05-29 18-42-36.png
Screenshot from 2022-05-29 18-42-36.png (67.25 KiB) Viewed 750 times
Is there a bug in the Space generation (the getShape/getCutVolume functions) or am I doing something wrong (see the project in the attachment)?

It appears that it uses infinite planes instead of the actual surfaces of the wall to cut the volume...

These are the FC info, I'm running it on Fedora 36.
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.14555 (Git shallow)
Build type: Release
Branch: (HEAD detached at 0.19.4)
Hash: 476ecf091941bead59b14e44afa6064d5a66afa3
Python version: 3.9.9
Qt version: 5.15.4
Coin version: 4.0.0
OCC version: 7.5.1
Locale: English/United States (en_US)
Attachments
Appartamento.FCStd
(354.96 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
paullee
Veteran

Re: Spaces computed incorrectly

Post by paullee »

sanzo wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 5:13 pm I'm trying to get the room volumes and vertical areas, but if I define the spaces by selecting the walls, I got this strange result:
It happens there is some discussion about this
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 68#p598368

Currently Arch Space has some limitation, you may find a few discussion with web search engine - with 'concave' shape of room, it would not work.

Alternatively, peoples need to do it manually, say, make a Draft Wire along the room edges, Part Extrude it, and then 'encapsulate' it under an Arch Space :)

Hope there are developers who improve and add features to Arch/BIM wb to iron out these corners :D
sanzo

Post by sanzo »

paullee wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 6:06 pm
sanzo wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 5:13 pm I'm trying to get the room volumes and vertical areas, but if I define the spaces by selecting the walls, I got this strange result:
It happens there is some discussion about this
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 68#p598368

Currently Arch Space has some limitation, you may find a few discussion with web search engine - with 'concave' shape of room, it would not work.
Thanks for the fast reply!
And sorry for this duplicate discussion, I must have been searching for the wrong terms (nothing useful came up in my searches).
Alternatively, peoples need to do it manually, say, make a Draft Wire along the room edges, Part Extrude it, and then 'encapsulate' it under an Arch Space :)
Bummer, that's what I was trying to avoid :)
Hope there are developers who improve and add features to Arch/BIM wb to iron out these corners :D
I'm a python developer, if I get some time I'll investigate this.
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

sanzo wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 7:38 pm And sorry for this duplicate discussion, I must have been searching for the wrong terms (nothing useful came up in my searches).

I'm a python developer, if I get some time I'll investigate this.

No problem, random search of 'FreeCAD forum Arch Space problem' happens to return something including my earlier discussion - Arch Space - Boundaries Behaviour, not sure if exactly some problem :)

Welcome to dig into the problem and submit a PR - Arch and BIM WB, developed by one of the founder of FreeCAD - Yorik, use python :D