Open *.Dwg with Qcad Pro in FCAD

A forum dedicated to the Draft, Arch and BIM workbenches development.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
ragohix769

Re: Open *.Dwg with Qcad Pro in FCAD

Post by ragohix769 »

ragohix769 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:30 pm
yorik wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:52 am
ragohix769 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:42 am but importing directly in Fcad by Qcad pro lib, it's really really slow, it' takes a lot of minutes on my Ryzen7 workstation with 32 GB of ram
Do you use the legacy python dxf importer?
The newer, c++ one is super fast, specially with the "group layers into blocks" option... Here are my settings:
Screenshot from 2022-01-25 12-50-54.png
I use the legacy, maybe it's time to use the newer one!
I'll test it with your settings, thanks a lot for the tips :-)
I've tested some dxf with these settings (and, i think, the c++ importer), my result it's not so good :-(

If I use "goupe layers into blocks" with the majority of project that I converted from DWG to dxf with Qcad pro, Fcad simply crash.
If I don't use it, it works, but it's not so quick, and all dimensions, texts, and all is mixed (messed) in the root of the tree :-( So I have to create some order in the caos even to rearrange the tree view with the assets. A lot of work, only to see the file. The scale draw that you import it's always a mess, because I have to calculate it every time what insert in the import screen, every draw in dwg it's different, I don't know why. This is REALLY annoying. Colors are not imported at all. After creating some group, then I have to create large compounds, because when you have a lot of line, it's not so cool to work/move (even in my WS that it's really speed up). But if you create compounds and then you want to edit some line, so you have to de-compound, edit the line, and then re-compound. Draft objects too are not convertet so all the lines are not parametric, generally speaking I have to retrace all from zero :-(

Sadly the only solution for me, it's to preprocess all very well with Qcad pro because Fcad it's not able to manage (till now, at least!) 2D.

I already said that I (really) hate proprietary and closed standard? :-)
After #ElonMuskBuyTwitter I'm no more on Twitter, that's really enough :-(
=> Now you can find me here on #Mastodon: https://mastodon.uno/@opensoul - I hope more people do the same :-)
thomas-neemann
Veteran

Post by thomas-neemann »

ragohix769 wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:44 am ...import of the text ...
here is an example:

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 50#p565299
Gruß Dipl.-Ing. (FH) Thomas Neemann

https://www.youtube.com/@thomasneemann5 ... ry=freecad
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

There are definitely issues with working with DWG/DXF in FreeCAD, and up to now, basically either it's fast but you loose individual objects and colors, or it is slow.

What I'd like to aim at is more tools to work with compound shapes. For example, tools to easily remove or add edges to a compound shape. So you could work fast, making sure everything is always "by layer", and even so be able to work on subelements
thomas-neemann
Veteran

Post by thomas-neemann »

yorik wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:18 pm ..
What I'd like to aim at is more tools to work with compound shapes...
I think that's very good, it would greatly accelerate the spread of freecad in companies
Gruß Dipl.-Ing. (FH) Thomas Neemann

https://www.youtube.com/@thomasneemann5 ... ry=freecad
ragohix769

Post by ragohix769 »

yorik wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:18 pm There are definitely issues with working with DWG/DXF in FreeCAD, and up to now, basically either it's fast but you loose individual objects and colors, or it is slow.

What I'd like to aim at is more tools to work with compound shapes. For example, tools to easily remove or add edges to a compound shape. So you could work fast, making sure everything is always "by layer", and even so be able to work on subelements
That could be a game changer, Yorik!

Because the down part till now, it's importing the assets (a lot of times you have hundreds and hundred of assets in the root of tree view, and maybe some tool here to grouping faster will be needed in the future - like the option to open a big window specific to managing assests, at full scale window UI optimized to manage a big tree, because when you have A LOT of objects imported it's really complicated/slow/painfull now to manage all in the tree view), and when you recreated some order in the mess, then working with these lines (not parametric because imported) and making compound to what you need to move/edit, it's really tricky (and/or really slow/painfull as process).
Having the possibilities to edit even a single imported (non parametric) line, without remove the compound (like, to make an example, in Inkscape when you can edit a single part of a group simply by clicking few times the objects, without remove the group), can be REALLY helpfull to work on existing/imported geometries.

Another idea that should be cool to implement: it's really impossibile to make some tool/macro that try to convert lines (even a selected lines or group or a compound) to to parametric, but mainting single objects?
After #ElonMuskBuyTwitter I'm no more on Twitter, that's really enough :-(
=> Now you can find me here on #Mastodon: https://mastodon.uno/@opensoul - I hope more people do the same :-)
carlopav
Veteran

Post by carlopav »

The not finished pr about subelements move can be of some help, also if i tested It with big 2d objects and it Is really slow... @yorik, did you ever checked It out? https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull/3716
follow my experiments on BIM modelling for architecture design
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

carlopav wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:25 pm @yorik, did you ever checked It out?
I think yes but don't remember exactly. I'll give it a new test spin
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Roughly, what I imagine:
  • You take care that everything in your DWG is "ByLayer¨. So we can import one layer = one FreeCAD object and it keeps the correct line style. That's what everybody would recommend anyway.
  • We need a new tool to select edges from a shape, and separate them, either all of them into one new shape or each edge in a separate shape
  • We need another tool that does the opposite, select several shapes, and add their geometry to another shape
  • The Draft move and rotate tools can already work on subshapes
  • There would be one more possibility, a special kind of shape where you can give different color/line styles to individual subcomponents. But that seems complex to do for little gain... Maybe not a priority.
Then I think it would be the best of both worlds, fast workflow in FreeCAD (if you have few objects, you can have very, very big drawings), and still the ability to change individual geometry