construction site setup

A forum dedicated to the Draft, Arch and BIM workbenches development.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
pdpb59

construction site setup

Post by pdpb59 »

I would like to model a construction site setup. Does anyone have experience? Especially with the import of construction machinery?

Peter
bernd
Veteran

Re: construction site setup

Post by bernd »

interesting project. Did you went further? What is your explicit problem? IFC and STEP should import without any problems. I have been imported crane STEP files on a regularly base.
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

pdpb59 wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:03 pm I would like to model a construction site setup. Does anyone have experience? Especially with the import of construction machinery?
What are your aims? Construction planning,programming... ? :)

bernd wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 10:05 pm interesting project. Did you went further? What is your explicit problem? IFC and STEP should import without any problems. I have been imported crane STEP files on a regularly base.
Sounds great. Any example to show ? Thanks. :)
pdpb59

Post by pdpb59 »

My goal is to design the construction site equipment with FreeCad.
Thereby I would like to use the construction machines as finished objects. But have not found any so far. The import of construction machines from REVIT via ifc does not work for me.
Currently I work with self-modeled symbols.
Attachments
baustelle-01.JPG
baustelle-01.JPG (134.15 KiB) Viewed 2099 times
pdpb59

Post by pdpb59 »

A second approach would be to set up these symbols as fixed objects, but I don't know how to do that :D
Attachments
baustelle-02.JPG
baustelle-02.JPG (91.79 KiB) Viewed 2094 times
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

paullee wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 12:16 am
bernd wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 10:05 pm interesting project. Did you went further? What is your explicit problem? IFC and STEP should import without any problems. I have been imported crane STEP files on a regularly base.
Sounds great. Any example to show ? Thanks. :)
but it is not of much use. I just looks pretty cool. It only would be useful if the spaces would be marked somehow. For example as pdpb59 it did by the flat filled circle. I really like this kind of simplified symbols.

screen.png
screen.png (513.73 KiB) Viewed 2046 times
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

pdpb59 wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 8:21 am My goal is to design the construction site equipment with FreeCad.
Thereby I would like to use the construction machines as finished objects. But have not found any so far. The import of construction machines from REVIT via ifc does not work for me.
Currently I work with self-modeled symbols.
cool stuff, If self modelled symbols are used they are much less detailed and thus performance will still be good.

In the regard of dataexchange between FreeCAD and Revit via IFC, this should work. You may post some explizit example which does not import in FreeCAD but works with other Ifc-Software. As a start try to import it here http://view.ifcopenshell.org/
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

pdpb59 wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 8:30 am A second approach would be to set up these symbols as fixed objects, but I don't know how to do that :D
I see various possibilities. It seams you have used groups. If the Arch groups BuildingElementPart are used the advantages of Arch objects could be used. Making any other Arch shape based object would be possible too. May be Arch Structure or Arch Equipment. Or make a comound out of all shapes and a Arch component.

Adding new Arch objects is not very difficault since they are all inherited from Arch Componennt. A crane object would be cool, just add the height and the radius and the crane object (a one similar to yours) will be created itself. This is not difficault to implement.

What do you do with the models? How about attributes? Do you add attributes to your symbols? Do you do any calculations with them?

cheers bernd
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

Does there a special IFC exists or is on the way for such objects, like IfcRail for railways and IfcBridge for bridges and so on?
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

bernd wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 8:39 pm but it is not of much use. I just looks pretty cool. It only would be useful if the spaces would be marked somehow. For example as pdpb59 it did by the flat filled circle.
Looks pretty cool ! 8-)

Would be good if some parameters could be incorporated and use in analysis indeed !