WB for creating Gantt Charts

A forum dedicated to the Draft, Arch and BIM workbenches development.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
walpa

WB for creating Gantt Charts

Post by walpa »

Hi everyone,

Using the resources of FC I created a WB to make Gantt charts.
I present here the results I have achieved so far.

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

It can be a start for the implementation of BIM 4D in the FC, if the community agrees.
It is very basic and there is still a lot of work to be done.
Opinions and criticisms are welcome.
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: WB for creating Gantt Charts

Post by Kunda1 »

Neat!
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
bitacovir
Veteran

Post by bitacovir »

great!
keep working!
::bitacovir::
==================
One must be absolutely modern.
Arthur Rimbaud (A Season in Hell -1873)

Canal Youtube Grupo Telegram de FreeCAD Español

My personal web site
My GitHub repository
Mini Airflow Tunnel Project
carlopav
Veteran

Post by carlopav »

Nice!
Btw, did you consider using a techdraw sheet instead of a 3dview to display the diagram?
follow my experiments on BIM modelling for architecture design
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

That's excellent!!

When I first thought about adding this kind of functionality to FreeCAD, I thought of doing it the opposite way: The BIM objects (columns, slabs,...) would hold the phasing data. Your implementation does the contrary (it is the task object that "contains" the BIM objects), and it actually works very, very well... With the added advantages that 1) you can experiment & develop further functionalities as you see fit, in the workbench, without relying on anything else in Arch, 2) You can add non-Arch/BIM objects too

Congrats, that's gorgeous work and very well done.

What I would suggest you to do next: Indeed as @carlopav says very soon people will want other "outputs" (a TechDraw sheet, or maybe export/link to other gantt/project apps). So I would recommend you, early on, to split the "output part" (the part that creates the shapes) into a separate structure, that can be changed later on.

The idea I think of is that for example you could have a separate "output" shape object, that is separated from the project object, that holds the whole shape. So for example, from a same project object, you could produce several outputs: a shape representation, a techdraw view, or directly export it to some other file format...

I'm willing to help there, if needed!
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

Looks great indeed :)
Meici

Post by Meici »

This tool look amazing, it is just I have been looking for :D . (sorry for my english)
walpa

Post by walpa »

Thank you all for your feedback,

I am still fighting a little bit with strange behavior in the START-START relationship, as soon as I am satisfied I make the code available.

Before thinking about “ouput”, I need to find a more efficient way to fill properties with dates. At the moment I use PropertyString with parser of lib dateutil for the calculations. It works reasonably well, but as the network grows with many successor tasks, due to the logic to calculate the critical path and change the color of the wireframes, a delay begins to appear in the 3D view update. For each number entered, the property starts updating the fields and recalculates everything.

I asked at https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=53801, a way around this with a property with button that opens a QtCalendar forms, but there is still no easy solution for that. The ideal is a PropertyDateTime, but as I don't know C ++ and version 0.19 is almost being released, so this will be for the future.

Maybe a delay. :?:
Any suggestions?

carlopav wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:29 am Btw, did you consider using a techdraw sheet instead of a 3dview to display the diagram?
The reason for using 3D visualization is because it is possible to use the other dimensions (y = second, z = third and color = fourth) to add more visual information to tasks in the timeline, going beyond the 2D limit (and the text in the side) of the bars, inherent to the interfaces adopted in other software.

yorik wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:19 am you could have a separate "output" shape object, that is separated from the project object, that holds the whole shape
I implemented the objects using App: FeaturePython, with the properties "building the shape" with pivy/coin objects implemented in the ViewProvider object. I don't know if I understood correctly… Can you explain your idea to me? (Portuguese maybe? ;) )

I think about this next road map:
- Create visualization in TechDraw
- Improve workflow for creating schedule and Arch relationship objects (explanation below)
- Automatic WBS creation (e.g.: copying the structure of a BIM-Project and its children, making the link automatically)
- Import/export from/to XML (to export/import in Primavera, MS Project or LibreProject)

For the future road map:
- Integrate with WB Animation to make more complex animations in the simulation
- Resource allocation (this is a long conversation...)
- Export to IFC (depends on the implementation of IfcProcess and IfcResource, as was done for IfcProduct)

yorik wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:19 am I'm willing to help there, if needed!
I really hope your help!

Improve workflow for creating schedule and Arch/others relationship objects
In the simulation demo video I used the workflow:
open the 3D project file --> create external link of the target object --> organize the links in the schedule file --> create the internal link in the OperatesOn property.

I think it is not good (it is laborious and in large projects this would be hell), maybe it would be better to find a way to link this target object with the OperatesOn property through a specific interface, such as WB BIM-External Reference.

Captura de tela de 2021-01-12 11-18-43.png
Captura de tela de 2021-01-12 11-18-43.png (80.66 KiB) Viewed 4313 times

Or some other way of making this link directly through the other WB's, what do you think?

Thank you all again.
Meetlat

Post by Meetlat »

Fantastic work! :o :D
Moult

Post by Moult »

This looks great and it would also be awesome to integrate this fully with BIM models via IFC. See here: https://standards.buildingsmart.org/IFC ... g-task.htm

The approach is similar to what you have - tasks and objects are separate, and they can be associated with one another.
I also blog about 3D rendering, architecture, software and other on thinkMoult.com. RSS / Atom feed available for your convenience.