Draft Autogroup not working anymore

A forum dedicated to the Draft, Arch and BIM workbenches development.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
carlopav
Veteran

Draft Autogroup not working anymore

Post by carlopav »

Testing support for App::Part in Draft, i noticed that Draft Autogroup doesn't work anymore on Std::Group object.
It works instead on layer objects, that AFAICS are less or more the old VisGroup.
Am I mistaking something?

Code: Select all

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.19093 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 9e4710d679d44613a1ae4264b86ef9f6d12f4e5a
Python version: 3.6.8
Qt version: 5.12.1
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: Italian/Italy (it_IT)
follow my experiments on BIM modelling for architecture design
vocx
Veteran

Re: Draft Autogroup not working anymore

Post by vocx »

carlopav wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:46 pm Testing support for App::Part in Draft, i noticed that Draft Autogroup doesn't work anymore on Std::Group object.
It works instead on layer objects, that AFAICS are less or more the old VisGroup.
Am I mistaking something?
I remember when Yorik introduced the new Draft Layer system, he mentioned something about Draft Autogroup not being particularly useful, and seemingly not many people used it. So maybe it kinda broke and nobody bothered to fix it.

Draft Layers
yorik wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:56 pm We could modify the Draft autogroup system... I believe nobody ever used that feature, not even me :D
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

It is not a bug it is a feature. AFAIK Autogrup was deactivated by default when layer where introduced.
carlopav
Veteran

Post by carlopav »

Not exactly:
Part of the tool now serves layers, and part auto-add new object to active Arch container (I guess building part).
In the "App:Part Draft support" PR, I commited a change to auto-add objects also to active App:Part if present.
I may observe that I miss the auto-add to group. It won't be bad if we could bring it back.
follow my experiments on BIM modelling for architecture design
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

The old behaviour (include groups and buildingparts in the autogroup drop-down list) is still available, there is an option for it in the Draft preferences
matthijskooijman

Post by matthijskooijman »

Hm, if this behavior changed, the documentation should be reflected to update this.

I'm a bit surprised that using autogroup for groups rather than just layers is not actually commonly used, but I haven't worked with FreeCAD and BIM much, so maybe this will start making sense to me later :-)
The old behaviour (include groups and buildingparts in the autogroup drop-down list) is still available, there is an option for it in the Draft preferences
Do you mean the "Show groups in layers list drop-down button" checkbox? If so, then this does not seem to work for me (also, the checkbox label might need to be rephrased to be more clear, maybe?). If not, then which settings controls this?

Version: 0.20.24599 +1 (Git)
Build type: Debug
Branch: tablet-motion-compression
Hash: ae4f27c6e17952f19b4e687e3de99c33b6f6dc0e
Python version: 3.8.5
Qt version: 5.12.8
Coin version: 4.0.0
OCC version: 7.5.1
Locale: English/United States (en_US)
Last edited by matthijskooijman on Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

matthijskooijman wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:42 am Do you mean the "Show groups in layers list drop-down button" checkbox? If so, then this does not seem to work for me
Confirmed. The setting does not work.

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.24219 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 8c26baebab320b8c1c3279bc8eb34a1eb6c7a363
Python version: 3.6.8
Qt version: 5.12.1
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: Dutch/Netherlands (nl_NL)
matthijskooijman

Also, IIUC the "Draft autogroup" feature was essentially repurposed to be a "Draft autolayer" feature, because for some, maybe most, workflows, using layers made more sense than using groups. However, I've also seen people say that using groups is also a good way to add structure to a design, so it would seem to make sense to use both layers and groups in the same design.

If so, wouldn't it make sense to have *both* an autogroup *and* an autolayer feature? So you can select both, and a new object is automatically added to a current group *and* a current layer?
matthijskooijman

I've submitted a PR to fix the preference, which makes autogroup work with layers *and* groups again (if enabled in Draft preferences): https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull/4810
dimitar

Post by dimitar »

matthijskooijman wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 4:35 pm I've submitted a PR to fix the preference, which makes autogroup work with layers *and* groups again (if enabled in Draft preferences): https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull/4810
Thank you! Definitely thing that this feature is a huge timesaver!