BIM/Arch development news articles from Yorik's blog

A forum dedicated to the Draft, Arch and BIM workbenches development.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: BIM/Arch development news articles from Yorik's blog

Post by Kunda1 »

:+1:
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

Extension of BuildingPart to support Drafts objects is great !

Just wondering how to choose betwen BuildingPart- Draft Objects- TechDraw ArchView works VS BIM- Draft Shape2DView - TechDraw :D
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

paullee wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:06 pm Just wondering how to choose betwen BuildingPart- Draft Objects- TechDraw ArchView works VS BIM- Draft Shape2DView - TechDraw
All together :)

You make your BIM model, use BuildingParts in it, as levels, buildings or whatever, then you take Shape2Dviews from it, and place these Shape2Dviews in another BuildingPart (which maybe we should rename something like "DraftView"? "DraftViewContainer"? "DraftShapeView"?), there you also add your dimensions, annotations, etc, then you create a TD view from that buildingpart.
ragohix769

Post by ragohix769 »

yorik wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:00 am
paullee wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:06 pm Just wondering how to choose betwen BuildingPart- Draft Objects- TechDraw ArchView works VS BIM- Draft Shape2DView - TechDraw

You make your BIM model, use BuildingParts in it, as levels, buildings or whatever, then you take Shape2Dviews from it, and place these Shape2Dviews in another BuildingPart (which maybe we should rename something like "DraftView"? "DraftViewContainer"? "DraftShapeView"?), there you also add your dimensions, annotations, etc, then you create a TD view from that buildingpart.
It can be a real *huge* help a mini video-tutorial about this flow with a simple house (maybe with 2 level and a stair to undestand a classic flow) as example to pass all from draft => TD with dimension, colors, annotations... because now I'm really confused about all the new tools and names :-)
After #ElonMuskBuyTwitter I'm no more on Twitter, that's really enough :-(
=> Now you can find me here on #Mastodon: https://mastodon.uno/@opensoul - I hope more people do the same :-)
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

ragohix769 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:51 pm It can be a real *huge* help a mini video-tutorial about this flow with a simple house
Yes, good idea, I've been thinking to that as well... Ok, next month I'll try to do a full video showing all the workflow!
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

yorik wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:00 am All together :)

That's inspiring :)

EDIT:
yorik wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:00 am The Arch BuildingPart object has been extended so it can now also be used as a container for Draft views. Just place all the 2D elements belonging to a view (projections of 3D models, dimensions, texts, hatches, symbols, linework...) in a same BuildingPart, create a TechDraw Arch view using that BuildingPart, and you're done.
Hmmm, wondering is it a DraftView or ArchView in TechDraw to be created?
dimitar

Post by dimitar »

yorik wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:41 am If you have QCAD pro installed, you can now use it to perform the DXF/DWG conversion in FreeCAD. I would say this is the best of both worlds, as it has the same level of quality as ODA, but the same ease of use as LibreDWG, plus, you'd be supporting an open-source project by using it.

I would warmly recommend, if you need DWG support, to buy a copy of QCAD pro. The price is very, very honest, and it's the main revenue system of QCAD's author. I've been following the project for years and he is a fervent defender of the open-source model (even after QCAD got forked into LibreCAD), this is the way he managed to keep both sides running, and I really like this solution.
This is great! I am trying it out. Do we need to set the executable to qcad.exe or to some dll or leave it blank when setting the option to use QCAD? I tried it but it fails thus far.

Also, really looking forward to understand the current best practices from 3d model to 2d documentation, as I am struggling at the moment with the lineweights and fills. Currently, I am using section and creating a view from the section on a page, but it's finicky. I've realise it is much slower in many instances if I define a parent buildingPart container with many nested buildingPart containers.

As for shapeView, where can I find more info on how to use it, in order to produce fills and lineweight differentiations?
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

yorik wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:41 am For MediaWiki users, using Markdown is a very, very small step, as the two languages are extremely similar
This decision has a big impact on the documentation effort none the less. Some Wiki maintenance tasks probably no longer make sense. How do translations work for md files? And what about all the Wiki templates?
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Roy_043 wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:58 pmThis decision has a big impact on the documentation effort none the less. Some Wiki maintenance tasks probably no longer make sense. How do translations work for md files? And what about all the Wiki templates?
Note that there is no decision taken here. I'm only building a proof of concept, that can exist alongside the wiki for as much as it needs, no change required from anybody. The idea here is to propose something, and try to get everybody involved to like the idea. Only then we can think of migrating for good.

For translation, my idea is that we could hook the whole repo into a translation platform like crowdin, that we already use for the FreeCAD interface. There are many things that make working with such platforms better than mediawiki IMHO, like translation memory, glossary, search engine, git integration, etc. The only showstopper problem, markdown is still badly supported. Some pieces (image links for example) get simply stripped out! And that is not only on crowdin but every other platform I tested. So at the moment, we simply cannot migrate yet.

When that is solved, however (certainly sooner or later markdown support will improve), then we can think again.

In the meantime, though, I'm refining things to try to convince a maximum of people ;)
benkoren

Post by benkoren »

ragohix769 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:51 pm
yorik wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:00 am

It can be a real *huge* help a mini video-tutorial about this flow with a simple house (maybe with 2 level and a stair to undestand a classic flow) as example to pass all from draft => TD with dimension, colors, annotations... because now I'm really confused about all the new tools and names :-)
I'm having quite a bit of trouble with this flow as well, particularly with getting dimensions into TechDraw. Inserting Shape2DViews works just fine, but dimensions are omitted in TechDraw, despite having added them to the BuildingPart. Can you please clarify how this should work?