Save parts from STEP-imported Assembly as different files

Need help, or want to share a macro? Post here!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
BoboGaga

Save parts from STEP-imported Assembly as different files

Post by BoboGaga »

Hey together

First big thanks to all the developers who make this open source CAD possible.
My question is as in the title: I've imported ans assembly as a STEP-file and now got the assembly as a .FCStd file. Now I'd like to save all the parts in it as separate files so I can use them to reassemble them with A2plus.

Thanks in advance!
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Save parts from STEP-imported Assembly as different files

Post by chrisb »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Do you intend to arrange the subparts differently in space? If not, why not leave it as a whole?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
BoboGaga

Post by BoboGaga »

Hi chrisb

Thanks for your answer.
Yes, I intend to assemble it differently and I also like to use some of the parts separately in another assembly. And I'd like to know exactly which part is fixed in the global frame of refrence and how all other parts are constrained.
Right now the assmebly is a mess and by converting the parts into a2plus-Parts they got somehow displaced randomly in the global frame.
I also dont know which part is actually fixed and how to find out.

In short: I'd like to start the assembly from scratch having a file for every part.

Thanks in advance.

Bobo
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I don't think this can be done from the GUI, except manual copying and saving, so I move the topic to the Python forum.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.