Imported mesh shows no info with FCinfo macro, what did I do wrong?

Need help, or want to share a macro? Post here!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Zophiekat

Imported mesh shows no info with FCinfo macro, what did I do wrong?

Post by Zophiekat »

I'm new to FreeCad
I made a model of a bottle in Blender then exported it as collada .dae and imported into FreeCad. I'm trying to find out what the volume of the mesh is as in how much liquid can it hold, I tried using FCinfo but all values show as 0.

Did I miss a setting? or does FCinfo not work with imported meshes or is my mesh funky in some way?
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Imported mesh shows no info with FCinfo macro, what did I do wrong?

Post by chrisb »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

A mesh is only a set of triangles. You have - depending on the shape of the mesh - to convert it at last to a shell, or better to a volume. Part workbench has such functions.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Zophiekat

Post by Zophiekat »

chrisb wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:56 am Hi and welcome to the forum!

A mesh is only a set of triangles. You have - depending on the shape of the mesh - to convert it at last to a shell, or better to a volume. Part workbench has such functions.
this worked thank you!, I selected the mesh and used Part > Crate shape from mesh, and now I have the FCinfo data, thank you very much! :D
mario52
Veteran

Post by mario52 »

Hi

merci chrisb
Zophiekat wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:15 am or does FCinfo not work with imported meshes
the next version give minimal info to the mesh object (i work it)

mario
Maybe you need a special feature, go into Macros_recipes and Code_snippets, Topological_data_scripting.
My macros on Gist.github here complete macros Wiki and forum.