[Macro] Bit of help for super users :)

Need help, or want to share a macro? Post here!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
chrisb
Veteran

Re: [Macro] Bit of help for super users :)

Post by chrisb »

Thanks! Usually I don't care too much about stuff being backwards compatible. But we helpers sometimes have to use old versions.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

Description picture at OP has been updated to reflect latest changes.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

This is coming along super nicely! Great touch with the font size sliders! I opened a request for custom icons in the UI/UX subforum, JFYI. Hope that's OK?
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

No problem. ;) Just think that will be a bit of a mess to get it working because of the particular behavior of QToolButton. But let's try it. ;)
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

Kunda1 wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:40 pm To consider:
We also need to consider that each button has multiple functions depending on which mouse keys it is pressed with. Eventually, we could add a tiny arrow on the button that will expand it in to a dropdown to allow accessing the multi-functional parts of the button (say if the user doesn't have an external mouse or has the mouse mapped a certain way)
I prefer to discuss this here rather than some kind of polluting the thread about the icons. Hope this is OK.
About what you explain, I'd prefer not to add some menus and so on, so the tool keep its efficiency. Anyway, the remark seems valuable to me.
Though I'm not sure it's easily codable, I think I could try something like Shift+LMB is evaluated as a right click and Ctrl+LMB as a middle click. Ctrl+Shift+LMB could be evaluated as a wheel notch that pops up the slider of the visibility tool. What do you think about that?
Also notice I foresee to add tooltip on the button so you can easily check and remember features. ;)
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

openBrain wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:10 pm I prefer to discuss this here rather than some kind of polluting the thread about the icons. Hope this is OK.
Thanks. I removed the blurb from the other thread per your observation.
openBrain wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:10 pm About what you explain, I'd prefer not to add some menus and so on, so the tool keep its efficiency. Anyway, the remark seems valuable to me.
Though I'm not sure it's easily codable
Yes, I recognize that the original intention is to keep it simple and powerful. But I can't help thinking this is just a great concept and direction to implement for all users at some point. Sorry if that keeps veering this thread off-topic.
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

Kunda1 wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:32 pm Yes, I recognize that the original intention is to keep it simple and powerful. But I can't help thinking this is just a great concept and direction to implement for all users at some point. Sorry if that keeps veering this thread off-topic.
No problem. :) I try to code the classes so they can be reused (even if it can still be improved). I'd like to avoid creating menus because I'm feared that it will lose some sense and just become another command bar. ;) But at the end the community leads the needs. If I need to maintain my own branch because my needs are different, that's not an issue. :) However if we really want same concept with different features for another category of users, maybe it can be good at some point to open a new thread. If we think the exact same tool can evolve to serve all users, then let's go on this thread.
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

Guys,

I was just remembered this other macro by @galou_breizh.

What would you think if the SU macro would integrate (in the same manner) features to :
  • Temporarily split the property editor from the combo view in a separated dock widget
  • Temporarily split the Task tab from the Combo view
Both would be possible at the same time.
Thought ?
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I personally would not need it.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

What's the usecase for it?