Volunteers: Unfinished Wiki pages for Part Workbench

Discussions about the wiki documentation of FreeCAD and its translation.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Roy_043
Veteran

Re: Volunteers: Unfinished Wiki pages for Part Workbench

Post by Roy_043 »

I'll PM you later to discuss some minor issues.

But for now: I see that you are adding huge images (2.240 x 1.164 pixels). IMO they are not necessary. But if you want to add them, please crop them. :mrgreen:

See WikiPages and also GuiCommand_model.
C4e

Post by C4e »

Great! Appreciate.

I use a ‚normal‘ MBP with retina screen. Maybe a bit to much resolution. :D

Got your hint and read and understood the graphics part. I will update the pictures in the next days.
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

C4e wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 9:05 pm Part_Tube ... scripting ...
In version V0.20 you can also use this:

Code: Select all

from BasicShapes import Shapes

Shapes.addTube(FreeCAD.ActiveDocument, "Tube")
C4e

Post by C4e »

I updated the Part Box with patient help and answering questions from @Roy_043.

If there is conclusion I will use this as a template and start working on the other Part Objects.
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

Thanks but the page does not exactly reflect what we have discussed.

Notably:

The Notes paragraph and the Example paragraph are superfluous IMO.
The Base group of proprieties is inherited and should not be mentioned.

Some other remarks:

This is incorrect as the image does show the orientation:
The described placement and orientation changes are not shown because of simplicity for the given example.

Not sure what you mean here:
By default, a box is created with three sides (edges) of equal length, each one 10 mm long.
This can be easily recognized by the additional check mark at the icon in the tree view. See Overlay Icons.

The check mark has nothing to do with the dimensions of the box.
C4e

Post by C4e »

Roy_043 wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:31 am Thanks but the page does not exactly reflect what we have discussed.
Hopefully. There are less small different views to some points. I came from a FreeCAD 'beginners' point of view and think maybe different to a FreeCAD pioneer or forum veteran.

The first goal is to make an accepted 'template' to use for the other objects too.

At the end, we should find a good base to start the rest of the work, otherwise it wastes a lot of time, that can be spent better. At some point, somebody else will finish the work or reset my changes. Who knows?!
Roy_043 wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:31 am Some other remarks:

This is incorrect as the image does show the orientation:
The described placement and orientation changes are not shown because of simplicity for the given example.
You are right. I correct this. I came back to use the placement and orientation values, because of the preferred given picture ratio of the small right pictures from the wiki.
Roy_043 wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:31 am Not sure what you mean here:
By default, a box is created with three sides (edges) of equal length, each one 10 mm long.
This can be easily recognized by the additional check mark at the icon in the tree view. See Overlay Icons.
The check mark has nothing to do with the dimensions of the box.
Changed it.
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

You should decide where the default dimensions and placement of the object are described. They should be described only once, either in the Description or in the Usage paragraph. Duplicate information should always be avoided. Nobody wants to read 3x (!) that a default Part Box is 10x10x10.

The Part Primitives that have a dedicated command (all commands with a yellow icon, except Part Tube) can also be created with the Part Primitives command. With that command you can specify the dimensions and the placement at creating time. That would be a useful note for the Notes paragraph.

Note that the name of an object is NOT user editable.
See Part_Feature#Name and Object name.
C4e

Post by C4e »

Roy_043 wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 12:58 pm You should decide where the default dimensions and placement of the object are described. They should be described only once, either in the Description or in the Usage paragraph. Duplicate information should always be avoided. Nobody wants to read 3x (!) that a default Part Box is 10x10x10.
Until today I thought, that I shouldn't change the complete Part Box entry. But when I think more and more about our discussion and your inputs, the I should hit the 'reset' button and make a simple, clear and straightforward text without repetition. I will structure a text and fill it in this afternoon or evening.
Roy_043 wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 12:58 pm The Part Primitives that have a dedicated command (all commands with a yellow icon, except Part Tube) can also be created with the Part Primitives command. With that command you can specify the dimensions and the placement at creating time. That would be a useful note for the Notes paragraph.
Thanks for the hint. I will read the text later and work out a wording.
Roy_043 wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 12:58 pm Note that the name of an object is NOT user editable.
See Part_Feature#Name and Object name.
Got it. I will change this later to a clear and good explanation.

Sorry for the circumstances.
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

Thanks for your work so far.

I see that you have edited the Usage paragraph on the Part Box page in such a way that it no longer matches the GuiCommand model page. That is not a good idea. We want the Wiki to be (more) consistent, that is why the GuiCommand model page was created. Please follow that model more closely.

We have discussed the Notes paragraph on the Part Box page a number of times. As it stands now it would be deleted in the editing process. :mrgreen:

There are still things that are not completely how they should be, but I can fix those later.
C4e

Post by C4e »

Roy_043 wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 4:14 pm Thanks for your work so far.
No prob. I learned a lot.
Roy_043 wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 4:14 pm I see that you have edited the Usage paragraph on the Part Box page in such a way that it no longer matches the GuiCommand model page. That is not a good idea. We want the Wiki to be (more) consistent, that is why the GuiCommand model page was created. Please follow that model more closely.
I will correct this to the GuiCommandModel.
Roy_043 wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 4:14 pm We have discussed the Notes paragraph on the Part Box page a number of times. As it stands now it would be deleted in the editing process.
You do not have to do it. I will delete all Notes paragraphs that are obsolete.
Roy_043 wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 4:14 pm There are still things that are not completely how they should be, but I can fix those later.
I spent hours of my time on it and if the speed is to slow for you, just feel free to do it. Just write me, if my work is not needed anymore, then I'll move on to my couch and do other things. :D