Discussion: Using the 'New' Staging wiki at wiki.freecad.org

Discussions about the wiki documentation of FreeCAD and its translation.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Kunda1
Veteran

Discussion: Using the 'New' Staging wiki at wiki.freecad.org

Post by Kunda1 »

So we're testing an updated and faster staging version of the wiki

Production wiki: https://freecadweb.org/wiki (Mediawiki 1.30.0, Translate MLEB 2017.10)
Staging wiki: https://wiki.freecadweb.org (Mediawiki 1.34.0, Translate MLEB 2020.01)

What we need is for users to test and give feedback. the more we test to see it's capabilities (or for example if the migration of the data from production made it in to the staging) the smoother the transition will be when we 'pull the trigger' and migrate.

Some observations so far:
* The search system is superior, we can filter out results better (and also tracking categories and tags which I'm wanting to study a little bit more about)
* The translation lock issue isn't a problem (the [[Install on Linux/Unix]] problem)
* It's faster (i think because we're not on shared hosting on digital ocean, thank you!)
* All login/passwords should be the same

Please report any observations/issues in this thread
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: Discussion: Using the 'New' Staging wiki at wiki.freecad.org

Post by Kunda1 »

Translators...care to weigh in ?
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
eajmarceau

Post by eajmarceau »

Hi Kunda,

Not sure if I got your meaning correctly, but did you intend to suggest that all pages on the Wiki would be translated into a specified subset of languages, based on audience/contributors, and trying to rationalize which pages are then logically reported in search results?

I don't know if the Wiki has the capability, but are you suggesting that postings be tagged by content language? or user-declared language preference?

If it matters, while my preferred language for posting/searching is English, I could find myself posting replies in French (strong) or Spanish (weak). Don't know if it would be useful/excessive to have users tag the language or auto-detect.

But going back to "translated" pages, if the content is intended to be identical, true translations, then I believe the results for 2 "identical" pages would be to return the page in the language that is declared (in profile?) as preferred.

Hope that helps!
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

This post is now obsolete (2020) as we were updating mediawiki (the wiki framework we use on https://wiki.freecad.org)