wiki housekeeping

Discussions about the wiki documentation of FreeCAD and its translation.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
heda
Veteran

Re: wiki housekeeping

Post by heda »

no delay as far as i'm concerned, and no need to be sorry, things are moving with the speed of sound :-)
btw, thanks for your tireless efforts in different corners of fc.
heda
Veteran

Post by heda »

some points:

there is a page Wished_tools listed in [wiki]Category:Roadmap[/wiki]
the page does not exist and has no links to it,
so do not understand how the link can show up in the category listing

there is a page Development_roadmap
maybe an empty page Roadmap should be created and redirected to Development_roadmap
or simply rename it directly, noone will write "Development roadmap" in the searchbar,
which is what is needed for a roadmap to appear as a suggestion.

writing snap in the searchbar, a page is suggested.
that page is a redirect to Ubuntu_Snap.
imho the Snap page should redirect to Draft_Snap

btw, it would be splendid if the forum would accept category links
david69
Veteran

Post by david69 »

heda wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 12:24 pm imho the Snap page should redirect to Draft_Snap

Snap gives https://wiki.freecadweb.org/Ubuntu_Snap and it's a package to deliver FreeCAD.
Draft_Snap is a widget.

you must have made typo in your links.
heda
Veteran

Post by heda »

don't think so...
the point is that it's fair to assume that most people looking for "snap" on the wiki are looking for the fc-functionality geometry snap, not the snap package of fc
for starters, one would think that a win users could not care less if there is a snap pkg or not.
the ones really looking for the package snap will not do so on the wiki imho,
having to go to fc wiki to know that your pkgmgr of choice has what you are looking for kind of defeats the purpose of a pkgmgr...
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

heda wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 12:24 pm there is a page Wished_tools listed in [wiki]Category:Roadmap[/wiki]
Maybe you need to refresh your browser cache. I do not see that page in the list.
onekk
Veteran

Post by onekk »

heda wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 2:32 pm don't think so...
the point is that it's fair to assume that most people looking for "snap" on the wiki are looking for the fc-functionality geometry snap, not the snap package of fc
for starters.
Yes and no Probably a disambiguation page that will have links for snap (maybe in future there will be Techdraw_Snap) with links to related pages.

I Know that could be a big work, I have only a doubt about the fact that a disbiguation page should appear in first places when doing a search.

Maybe prependi 00 or AAA to page name will make it at first places, only a rough guess, as I don't know how search engine is working.

Regards

Carlo D.
GitHub page: https://github.com/onekk/freecad-doc.
- In deep articles on FreeCAD.
- Learning how to model with scripting.
- Various other stuffs.

Blog: https://okkmkblog.wordpress.com/
heda
Veteran

Post by heda »

the search box on the wiki only suggests actual (existing) page names. if there is none there is no suggestion
imho it is best to avoid disambiguous pages, better to just wrap cross links on the few pages of concern with "did you mean?"

anyhow, on the "Category:Roadmap" listings, seems like it is the logged in or not fallacy here again.
does not appear to be browser cache,

hold on, what is going on here - the listings if one is logged in or not almost have nothing in common.
one really has to wonder where the disparities comes from, obviously it is in mediawiki somwhere - but a general bug, db pollution, does mw need flushing from time to time, or? also how does it look for other category listings...
logged in.png
logged in.png (113.45 KiB) Viewed 2046 times
not logged in.png
not logged in.png (91.65 KiB) Viewed 2046 times
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

For me it does not matter if I am logged in or not. The category lists 24 pages in either case.
heda
Veteran

Post by heda »

i still have the same.
this post was to write "yepp, you are right, it was browser cache"

so cleared everything i could clear, but to my surprise it was the same, it is simply different when logged in vs not.

so, either i do not know how to clear the cache on a browser, or it is simply different on different computers (depending on where one is in the world (as in ip-provider cache)?)

time to hand over the question to the department of "unsolved mysteries" for permanent filing.
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

My standard browser is Firefox, I have now checked the page in two other browsers: Opera and the FreeCAD Web Workbench browser. And in the latter I see the same thing. It is therefore unlikely to be a cache issue. Maybe it is related to the type of HTTP request, but I am really just guessing here.