[Quick Measure is now an Addon] Is anyone willing to try another measuring program?

Discussion about the development of the Assembly workbench.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
dan-miel

[Quick Measure is now an Addon] Is anyone willing to try another measuring program?

Post by dan-miel »

Quick Measure. Is anyone willing to try another measuring program in A2 or A3?
Selecting one feature will show some info about the feature. In the top picture selecting the plane gives the name, area and the perimeter. The middle picture, a circle, gives the Radius and location.
Selecting two features gives more info, the distance between them and the x, y, z if applicable. The bottom shows two vertexes. The x, y, z is also the size of the cube. This seems to work in part design and A2plus. Is anyone willing to try it in A3 or A4?
Unzipping the file and dropping it in the mod folder adds the program.
Thanks.
Dan Miel
Attachments
quick Measure.jpg
quick Measure.jpg (37.59 KiB) Viewed 2148 times
QuickMeasure.zip
(36.7 KiB) Downloaded 53 times
Last edited by dan-miel on Sat Oct 29, 2022 5:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Haavard

Re: Is anyone willing to try another measuring program?

Post by Haavard »

Nice work! This has great potential. Is A2plus a dependency? it gave an error without it installed.

Single selection works nicely with an a4 assy, and some measurements with two selections as well. However some measurements are missing, such as center-center distance of two circles, angle between lines, distance from vertex to face etc.
dan-miel

Post by dan-miel »

Hi Haavard, thanks for responding.
Haavard wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:16 pm Is A2plus a dependency?
A2Plus should not be a dependency that is why I'm asking for people to try it in A3 and A4 assy.
Haavard wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:16 pm However some measurements are missing, such as center-center distance of two circles, angle between lines, distance from vertex to face etc.
If you are selecting the surface of the circles, you will not get a distance. if you select the edge of the circles, you should get a distance. When the surface is selected it just says it is a surface, but maybe if I check the number of edges and there is only one then it should be a circle. I'll experiment.
I’m learning as I go. I don’t know how to get the angle of two lines or plane to vertex. If someone wants to share the knowledge, I’m sure I could add it.
Dan Miel
kemes

Post by kemes »

Nice work dan-miel!
dan-miel

Post by dan-miel »

Haavard wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:16 pm Single selection works nicely with an a4 assy, and some measurements with two selections as well. However some measurements are missing, such as center-center distance of two circles, angle between lines, distance from vertex to face etc.
Haavard, these selections have been added and many more. I hope users will find this a handy tool. If you selected a feature by mistake, simply click it again to deselect it.

If someone would like to try Quick Measure but doesn’t want to go to the website at https://github.com/DanMiel/QuickMeasure and download the zip file, you can open FreeCAD, go to Edit>Preferences then open the Addon Manager on the left side. Add the above web address to the large ‘Repository URL’ box. You can then install Quick Measure like any WorkBench by using the Tools>Addon Manager. You may need to fresh the Manager page.
Dan
Edit: Quick Measure is on github at https://github.com/DanMiel/QuickMeasure. You can go there and click on the code button, download the zip file, unzip it and put the folder in the FreeCAD/Mod directory or do as above.
dan-miel

Re: [Finished] Is anyone willing to try another measuring program?

Post by dan-miel »

The Quick Measure program has been added to the FreeCAD Addon manager. You may need to refresh the Local cache in the lower left of the manager to see it. Download and install the same as any other addon.
Dan Miel
ppemawm
Veteran

Re: [Quick Measure is now an Addon] Is anyone willing to try another measuring program?

Post by ppemawm »

dan-miel wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 5:18 pm The Quick Measure program has been added to the FreeCAD Addon manager.
It now has a permanent place on my custom toolbars for PartDesign and Assembly4.
Excellent added feature.
Thanks dan-meil.

EDIT: Now, if the panel could be transparent that would be great.
"It is a poor workman who blames his tools..." ;)
dan-miel

Re: [Quick Measure is now an Addon] Is anyone willing to try another measuring program?

Post by dan-miel »

ppemawm wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 6:40 pm EDIT: Now, if the panel could be transparent that would be great.
Ppemawm, I modified the program with various transparencies but, on my machine, I couldn't find an advantage to the dialog being opaque so I left it alone. Is it covering to much of your screen?
Thanks for the input and I'm glad you found the add-on useful.
Dan
user1234
Veteran

Post by user1234 »

Nice!

Greetings
user1234
ppemawm
Veteran

Post by ppemawm »

dan-miel wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 3:40 pm Is it covering to much of your screen?
It could be smaller but for aging eyes it is fine as is.
Thanks again.
"It is a poor workman who blames his tools..." ;)