A2plus : Reusing parts and constraints

Discussion about the development of the Assembly workbench.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
thebruuu

A2plus : Reusing parts and constraints

Post by thebruuu »

Hello

Let's suppose I need to build a car in A2plus. I am now in the phase of assembling the shock absorbers
STEP 1. Let's simplify and let's say that this shock absorber is simply a pipe made of 2 parts, 2 coaxial tubes with of course some constraints between those parts (axial & same plan constraints): in this way the 2 pipes can move and simulate the shock absorber movement

Now, I want to go for the second wheel and I want to reuse the shock absorber I built in step 1. So how can I clone it? I don't manage to clone parts and constraints. I am only able to clone parts...

I tried to create a asm file of the shock absorber but the point is that then If I import it into another assembly project, it gets static

As I am a rookie, I hope to have been clear enough
Thank You
chrisb
Veteran

Re: A2plus : Reusing parts and constraints

Post by chrisb »

Moved from Help forum.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
dan-miel

Re: A2plus : Reusing parts and constraints

Post by dan-miel »

thebruuu wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:18 pm Now, I want to go for the second wheel and I want to reuse the shock absorber I built in step 1. So how can I clone it? I don't manage to clone parts and constraints. I am only able to clone parts...
You’re right on everything in you posted. I do not believe you can import an assembly and have the constraints work in it, you need to have the constraints in the top level. You cannot copy the constraints but you can copy the parts without opening the files again by using the "Create duplicate of a part” button.
I hope this helps.
Dan