Assy4 : LCS alignment problem

Discussion about the development of the Assembly workbench.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
freman
Veteran

Assy4 : LCS alignment problem

Post by freman »

Hi,

I am having trouble aligning my assembly LCS with my FreeCAD object LCSs. The interface does not seem to offer the same choice and whatever I do I end up with the assembly off by 90 degrees in one direction or another. I did manage to get the assy parallel to the bars but it was rotated 90 about x axis.

My basic sketches for the parts are done on YZ plane. Maybe that gives problems later.

Is there a trick I'm missing ?

TIA.
Attachments
LCS-prob.FCStd
(50.05 KiB) Downloaded 36 times
LCS.png
LCS.png (14.36 KiB) Viewed 905 times
ppemawm
Veteran

Re: Assy4 : LCS alignment problem

Post by ppemawm »

See also related post: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 57#p627157
freman wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 11:37 am I did manage to get the assy parallel to the bars but it was rotated 90 about x axis.
Select the assembly link and use the Assembly4 Edit Placement button Rotate X as many times as needed to get the orientation you are after.
freman wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 11:37 am My basic sketches for the parts are done on YZ plane. Maybe that gives problems later.
I usually pick the same plane as it will be in the assembly, but I 'm not so sure this makes much difference.
"It is a poor workman who blames his tools..." ;)
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

freman wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 11:37 am I am having trouble aligning my assembly LCS with my FreeCAD object LCSs
shouldn't this be the other way round : to align the object's LCS with the assembly's LCS ? You shouldn't mess with the assembly's LCS default attachment, but rather rotate the inserted part to the desired orientation
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD — tutorials here and here
freman
Veteran

Post by freman »

Thanks for your reply.

I was attempting to add an FC part to the assembly with default LCS. The part was in the position and orientation I wanted however, whatever I did to part's LCS, the axes were mis-aligned.

I finally discovered that I had to change the assy's LCS to match that of the part. As you suggest, that seems back to front.
I could have added a rotation but I saw that as a hack to repair the error. It seemed I was not using the LCS alignments properly to start with.

BTW, I'm not getting any reply notifications from the forum despite checked it is enabled on each thread. Anyone else seeing this ?
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

freman wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 3:23 pm I could have added a rotation but I saw that as a hack to repair the error.
If you're talking about the three 90° rotation buttons in the "place part" dialog, then those are meant for exactly that : to Orient correctly the part w.r.t. the Assembly LCS. It's not à hack, It's the proper procédure.

I have the feeling you're overcomplicating this : forget what you know about other assemblies and contsraints, and use the LCS as "connectors" that you match modulo 90°
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD — tutorials here and here