Assembly4 stupid question about assembling

Discussion about the development of the Assembly workbench.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
mox

Assembly4 stupid question about assembling

Post by mox »

Hi everibody,
here my sys

Code: Select all

Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.20.29177 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-20
Hash: 68e337670e227889217652ddac593c93b5e8dc94
Python 3.8.10, Qt 5.15.2, Coin 4.0.1, Vtk 8.2.0, OCC 7.6.2
Locale: Italian/Italy (it_IT)
Installed mods: 
  * Assembly4 0.12.3
  * fasteners 0.3.50
I was doing some tutorials about simple assembling without master sketch (no movements or simulations in this phase) and when I made a lamp I placed an arm (as the images shows) joining two LCS from 2 distinct parts and giving an orientation to the arm to obtain a fake joint in the end where I can't find a method to join my other LCS. If I hide the screws it is possible to see that the position is not perfect in this particular situation, so the simple question is: without a master sketch (that can be a solution for this problem from what I understood) is impossible to simple assembly in a CAD perfect manner a single part using 2 LCS of the same part in a redundant assembly like my tutorial, correct? I can't add supplementary points of joining other than the first to accomodate more needs?

Cheers.
Attachments
1_Lamp.PNG
1_Lamp.PNG (43.48 KiB) Viewed 876 times
2_Arm.PNG
2_Arm.PNG (17.07 KiB) Viewed 876 times
ArmJoint.PNG
ArmJoint.PNG (15.89 KiB) Viewed 876 times
Zolko
Veteran

Re: Assembly4 stupid question about assembling

Post by Zolko »

mox wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 8:46 am impossible to simple assembly in a CAD perfect manner a single part using 2 LCS of the same part in a redundant assembly like my tutorial, correct? I can't add supplementary points of joining other than the first to accomodate more needs?
I'm not sure to understand your question, so I'm trying to answer:

1) in your example, a master sketch is typically the good way to go.

2) an attachment by LCS in the Asm4 sense is fully deterministic, therefore you can't add another attachment by LCS to the same part because that would conflict with the first one. This is a mathematical impossibility.

3) redundant constraints are never a good idea even with dedicated solvers, some solvers can't handle them anyway.
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD — tutorials here and here
mox

Post by mox »

Zolko wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 10:42 am
mox wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 8:46 am impossible to simple assembly in a CAD perfect manner a single part using 2 LCS of the same part in a redundant assembly like my tutorial, correct? I can't add supplementary points of joining other than the first to accomodate more needs?
I'm not sure to understand your question, so I'm trying to answer:

1) in your example, a master sketch is typically the good way to go.
Here the answer. Perfect. Thanks!
2) an attachment by LCS in the Asm4 sense is fully deterministic, therefore you can't add another attachment by LCS to the same part because that would conflict with the first one. This is a mathematical impossibility.
Here the part 2 of the answer. My tutorial was intended only to attach parts with others, so ASM4 probably is not the best tool to do so because it was developed to do more. Tanks again.
3) redundant constraints are never a good idea even with dedicated solvers, some solvers can't handle them anyway.
I apologize for my little precision but my words where directed to the structure of the joints where there is the matematical impossibility to join all togheter using a single "pivot" for every part and following a path to make everithing really connected by this method - as point 1 and 2, what I really need was a different method to use ASM4 (M.S. I know) or a different tool to make an assembly that rely on a n-point of connection directly.

Not my priority to make again the same tutorial, but have you a simpler tool to suggest to do this work? Just like take some parts and make them correctly positionated in CAD perfection by their "holes" or "pins" without checking for interferences and others, a way more "build like a jointer" :D
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

mox wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 11:55 am My tutorial was intended only to attach parts with others, so ASM4 probably is not the best tool to do so because it was developed to do more
hum ... Asm4 was designed exactly for this task
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD — tutorials here and here