Assembly 4

Discussion about the development of the Assembly workbench.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
ideasvacuum

Assembly 4

Post by ideasvacuum »

Unfortunately, if you search the forum for Assembly 4 Topics, the result is:
Searched query: assembly 4
ignored: 4

I have tried to apply the Assembly 4 Tutorial which is based on FC version 0.19. However, I'm using version 0.19.3 and there are differences in the GUI and the tutorial method of defining a number of files, closing them, then re-opening them by selecting them all as a group does not want to work - what I get is the first file and the last file only :mrgreen: - in any case, using that method, it seems you have to already know every part model you will need to define the Assembly. If it's a large Assembly, that's not easy.

However, what about pre-existing FC model files? How do you make an Assembly with them? Is there a tutorial for that approach, that doesn't assume that every part model is itself an assembly?
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Assembly 4

Post by chrisb »

Moved to Assembly forum. You hopefully find more information about Assembly4 here.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

ideasvacuum wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:02 am However, what about pre-existing FC model files? How do you make an Assembly with them?
you can use any Part (yellow icon) or Body (blue icon) as part to insert into an assembly. Did you try ?
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD — tutorials here and here
ideasvacuum

Post by ideasvacuum »

you can use any Part (yellow icon) or Body (blue icon) as part to insert into an assembly. Did you try ?
Hello Zolko - They create new items - what about existing FC files containing part models, and other format part models from Libraries?
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

ideasvacuum wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:02 am what about existing FC files containing part models, and other format part models from Libraries?
what about them ? Which part of "Did you try ? " don't you understand ?
ideasvacuum

Post by ideasvacuum »

Moved to Assembly forum. You hopefully find more information about Assembly4 here.
Sorry Chrisb - I did a search for Assembly 4 as mentioned, that didn't want to happen so I thought, OK, 'Help on using FreeCAD' it is. Next time, I will scroll down, but I would probably have been put off by the 'Development' Title, thinking that is about on-going development of the work benches rather than a place to ask for help with a current work bench..... perhaps I'm not the only newbie to be confused by such a tiny detail.
ideasvacuum

Post by ideasvacuum »

Which part of "Did you try ? " don't you understand ?
I tried them:

They are for constructing new entities are they not? I want to build the Assembly with existing FC model files and 3rd party Library files (which I think can simply be imported into FC files).

So, from your response to another User 'Assembly4: adding parts from an external file' I discovered Linked Parts.

So I tried that with an FC part model and there we go, the part is in the Assembly - so far, so good. However, I have two issues that I can't find a solution to:

1) When the Linked Part was inserted, the Toolbar greyed-out:

2) In the part model file, the draw style is 'Flat Lines', but in the Assembly it's transparent and I can't find a way to change that.

Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

ideasvacuum wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:16 am So, from your response to another User 'Assembly4: adding parts from an external file' I discovered Linked Parts.

Well done

1) When the Linked Part was inserted, the Toolbar greyed-out:

2) In the part model file, the draw style is 'Flat Lines', but in the Assembly it's transparent
I suspect that the task panel is not visible/active in your GUI environnent
ideasvacuum

Post by ideasvacuum »

Hello Zolka

I got the Toolbar back to normal by closing FC and re-running. If I select the model in the Assembly, then go to View, Draw Style and try any of the options, nothing changes - but the Assembly Toolbar gets greyed-out again. :shock:
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

Menu View > Panels > Combo View