assembly 4, using part to do a boolean cut

Discussion about the development of the Assembly workbench.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Petert

assembly 4, using part to do a boolean cut

Post by Petert »

Have been trying to understand how to make an assembly and use the located parts as tools to cut other parts with the boolean function.
It is only at the assembled fase I know what the parts should 'look' like, so I can not adjust parts before they are placed in the assembly.

Is it possible to do with Assembly 4 wb?
OS: Debian GNU/Linux 11 (bullseye) (X-Cinnamon/cinnamon)
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.20.27008 (Git) AppImage
Build type: Release
Branch: (HEAD detached at 9162733)
Hash: 91627338a44371fe9a8e815b4900f62558af98a1
Python version: 3.9.9
Qt version: 5.12.9
Coin version: 4.0.0
OCC version: 7.5.3
Locale: English/United States (en_US)
ngocminhdao88

Re: assembly 4, using part to do a boolean cut

Post by ngocminhdao88 »

Hi Petert,

i don't think it is possible with A4 workbench right now.

Btw you should look into top down design method when dealing with an assembly. Using a skeleton or a master sketch to share common interfaces between parts, define placeholder etc...
Petert

Post by Petert »

ngocminhdao88 wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:29 am Hi Petert,

i don't think it is possible with A4 workbench right now.
That's what I thought.
ngocminhdao88 wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:29 am Btw you should look into top down design method when dealing with an assembly. Using a skeleton or a master sketch to share common interfaces between parts, define placeholder etc...
My method works perfectly, fully parametric. And adding local cs's to a part isn't that much work. It's much more work to get a skeleton sketch working.
cut.png
cut.png (303.61 KiB) Viewed 1969 times
I would like to cut the pipe with the plexiglass. (and yes I know there are other ways, I want to experiment with boolean functions)
I am a refugee from Fusion 360. Switched over to FreeCAD and am spreading the word. After years of very little progress I switched again to another solution. I wish you all the best!
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

Petert wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:43 am I would like to cut the pipe with the plexiglass. (and yes I know there are other ways, I want to experiment with boolean functions)
As was said before, Asm4 was not meant for that task, but it is possible to do it anyway. Here is what you can do : when you have finished your assembly, select each part that you want to re-use as base or as tool, one after the other, and in the PartWB select the tool "Convert to solid ". This will create solids at the same location as your parts. You can then use these solids for boolean operations. I've tried this on simple objects and it works perfectly, I wouldn't know whether it also does on complex things.

Because of the "Convert to solid " function, this operation is not parametric, so if you modify your parts and/or the assembly, you must re-do the steps.
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD — tutorials here and here
Petert

Post by Petert »

Zolko wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:50 am
Petert wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:43 am I would like to cut the pipe with the plexiglass. (and yes I know there are other ways, I want to experiment with boolean functions)
Because of the "Convert to solid " function, this operation is not parametric, so if you modify your parts and/or the assembly, you must re-do the steps.
Ok, thank you for your answer. I would like to keep everything parametric so I will put in the effort to do the cuts mathematically and before adding to the assembly.

Thanks for your very nice workbench, works like a dream now I understand how to use it.
I am a refugee from Fusion 360. Switched over to FreeCAD and am spreading the word. After years of very little progress I switched again to another solution. I wish you all the best!