Assembly 4: Part link, the same elements few times

Discussion about the development of the Assembly workbench.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
marcin.es30

Assembly 4: Part link, the same elements few times

Post by marcin.es30 »

Hello

I have some strange observation, is it some my mistake or something wrong with assembly workbench4? I 'd like to use one part as a base in assembly and later add few instances of second part as connected to first one.

What I'm observing is when I add second or further element it overwrites values of offset, orientation of first elemtment and all of them become identical. So it is not possible to link first instance in different rotation and offset than any other. All instances seems like share the same values for offset/rotation. \What wrong am I doing?

base / base_wht_issue is a assembly file
elelmntbase is element which I'd like to be base to link to
element2 is a element which I'd like to link to elementbase in few instances.

You can have a look for mentioned situation in fie base_with_issue in which I included two instances of element2 (Part001,Part002). When I'd like to move/attach part in assembly any change affect all (2) elements. When I add new one all of them will have it common. I expect that each one should have it separated so we can freely manipulate each instance of element2

Thanks
Marcin
Attachments
elementbase.FCStd
(11.84 KiB) Downloaded 18 times
element2.FCStd
(12.68 KiB) Downloaded 19 times
base.FCStd
(6.39 KiB) Downloaded 19 times
base_with_issue.FCStd
(6.88 KiB) Downloaded 23 times
Last edited by marcin.es30 on Sun Jan 09, 2022 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bambuko
Veteran

Re: Part link, the same elements few times

Post by bambuko »

Might be an idea to put words "assembly 4" in the title of the thread?
I am using Link branch and Assembly3
you can also download ... and try it here
excellent Assembly3 tutorials here
Zolko
Veteran

Re: Assembly 4: Part link, the same elements few times

Post by Zolko »

marcin.es30 wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:26 pm I have some strange observation, is it some my mistake or something wrong with assembly workbench4?
this is clearly a bug, I'm looking into it, thank-you for the report
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD — tutorials here and here
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

marcin.es30 wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:26 pm I have some strange observation, is it some my mistake or something wrong with assembly workbench4?
OK, found the bug: it was the Part::AttachExtensionPython introduced in the previous version (0.11.5) that also creates an AttachmentOffset which conflicts with that of Asm4. Please update and test.

Unfortunately, the objects created with that version (0.11.5) cannot be automatically repaired, they must be redone. Sorry for that.
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD — tutorials here and here
marcin.es30

Post by marcin.es30 »

Currelnty all works as expected. Thanks for quick fix.
fred-3d

Post by fred-3d »

Zolko wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:02 pm ...
Unfortunately, the objects created with that version (0.11.5) cannot be automatically repaired, they must be redone. Sorry for that.
Thanks for the fix and letting us know we will need to recreate objects built using 0.11.5. Earlier today I couldn't understand what was going on. I had upgraded to 0.11.6 and opened a model that I had created using 0.11.5. I started by creating two new links to the same part, but found that I could not set the attachment parameters of the second link without it changing the attachment of the first. :shock: Now I know why! :)

Thanks again for your efforts.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool.
-Richard Feynman