Assembly 3 Bom

Discussion about the development of the Assembly workbench.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
djf1185

Assembly 3 Bom

Post by djf1185 »

Hello everyone,

the assembly 3 workbench is in my opinion the assembly workbench wich coresponds most the assembly features of Solidworks or Inventor. There is one big thing missing the bill of materials. Realthunder shows https://github.com/realthunder/FreeCAD_ ... preadsheet that there is a way to do it, but there are still a lot things missing like: dimension (length, width, hight, thickness, quantity) and so on.
May be we can make a reporsitory with script snippes so everyone could build his own bom spreadsheet.
I don't no know how to do it, maybe their is enyone out there whon could help me.

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 2021.1015.24301 +4280 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: LinkDaily
Hash: 556c87868ea46796242156e9f73eae98259794b7
Python version: 3.8.6+
Qt version: 5.15.2
Coin version: 4.0.1
OCC version: 7.5.0
Locale: German/Germany (de_DE)
Attachments
Test asm.zip
(53.34 KiB) Downloaded 33 times
onekk
Veteran

Re: Assembly 3 Bom

Post by onekk »

You are talking about Realthunder branch that has his own development path.

FIrst of all: I've no intention to criticize, but simply putting the "version information" could hide the fact that you are referring to a branch different from "official FC", It is not a sin, but if you read below I'm trying to explain some consideration (I use RT branch for some work, and for testing purposes and find it a "very good job")

Maybe your idea will be more visible to RT if you make it an Issue in his Github page.

Maybe if you add a "RT branch" somewhere in the title of the post, things will be more clear to some "casual users" or "beginners".

I think that RT related things maybe should go in the RT Branch thread, if I don't remember wrong there is post where RT is announcing his branch and usually consideration about RT branch are posted there.

Many thing of RT branch will end to be integrated in stock FC , but as RT Branch has many differences, timeline is very "spreaded" as every PR has to be tested and reviewed, to make sure that it will not break existing behaviour and permit a decent portability of old code and FCStd files.

Some integration will be done at least for TopoNaming and some Spreadsheet improvement, i think tha @uwesthor is integrating something about Spreadsheet now and many PR are in process to be integrated soon like some basic "TopoNaming" mitigations (RT has done some different PR to permit a smooth integrations as told above).

Regards

Carlo D.
GitHub page: https://github.com/onekk/freecad-doc.
- In deep articles on FreeCAD.
- Learning how to model with scripting.
- Various other stuffs.

Blog: https://okkmkblog.wordpress.com/
bambuko
Veteran

Post by bambuko »

onekk wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:00 pm You are talking about Realthunder branch that has his own development path...
Not necessarily :D
Assembly3 (at least as far as I know) can be used in either "master" branch or Realthunder's "link" branch...

This is often confused and not made any easier by mods here on the forum,
who (for reasonably understandable reasons)
in an attempt to keep "master" discussion/help questions separate from those of similar questions relating to "link" branch
are lumping anything remotely connected to Realthunder into Assembly section of this forum.

So, no, I do not agree with you that the topic should indicate/limit to only "RT branch"
The topic is Assembly 3 BOM and this could mean either 0.20 or as in the case of OP 2021.1015.24301(link branch)
I am using Link branch and Assembly3
you can also download ... and try it here
excellent Assembly3 tutorials here
onekk
Veteran

Post by onekk »

bambuko wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:40 pm Not necessarily :D
Assembly3 (at least as far as I know) can be used in either "master" branch or Realthunder's "link" branch...

This is often confused and not made any easier by mods here on the forum,
who (for reasonably understandable reasons)
in an attempt to keep "master" discussion/help questions separate from those of similar questions relating to "link" branch
are lumping anything remotely connected to Realthunder into Assembly section of this forum.

So, no, I do not agree with you that the topic should indicate/limit to only "RT branch"
The topic is Assembly 3 BOM and this could mean either 0.20 or as in the case of OP 2021.1015.24301(link branch)
I could agree with you that "Assembly 3" is not strictly related to "RT branch".

But OP is asking for improvement and is using "RT Branch", and his reporting the actual behaviour of "RT Branch" as it is clear from this part of the post.
Realthunder shows https://github.com/realthunder/FreeCAD_ ... preadsheet that there is a way to do it, but there are still a lot things missing like: dimension (length, width, hight, thickness, quantity) and so on.
IMHO if you are asking modification for a "derivative version" this thing has to be clear, as new user could guess "wrong" that some function are in stock FC.

But as I'm not a moderator, nor a developer, maybe a "skilled user" is only my opinion and is not very authoritative.

:D

Cheers and Regards

Carlo D.
GitHub page: https://github.com/onekk/freecad-doc.
- In deep articles on FreeCAD.
- Learning how to model with scripting.
- Various other stuffs.

Blog: https://okkmkblog.wordpress.com/
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

he is asking for an improvement of the assembly workbench in the assembly subforum, what's the issue? FreeCAD branch doesn't matter here and neither does the difference in development of both branches, it's the development of the workbench that matters here and AFAIK that is done independently of both branches (although it's also done by realthunder)
bambuko
Veteran

Post by bambuko »

adrianinsaval wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:19 pm .. it's the development of the workbench that matters here and AFAIK that is done independently of both branches (although it's also done by realthunder)
Yes, that is my understand as well
I am using Link branch and Assembly3
you can also download ... and try it here
excellent Assembly3 tutorials here