Drawing a tube using " curves wb"

Discussion about the development of the Assembly workbench.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
thomas-neemann
Veteran

Re: Drawing a tube using " curves wb"

Post by thomas-neemann »

bambuko wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 10:36 am ...
Where do you get this kind of misinformation from?
it's just a guess, because nothing has appeared in a long time, will change my post
Gruß Dipl.-Ing. (FH) Thomas Neemann

https://www.youtube.com/@thomasneemann5 ... ry=freecad
bambuko
Veteran

Post by bambuko »

Shalmeneser wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:28 am:idea:
That is really very neat!
Thank you - will help me a lot in future designs :ugeek:
I am using Link branch and Assembly3
you can also download ... and try it here
excellent Assembly3 tutorials here
bambuko
Veteran

Post by bambuko »

Stephen3 wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 3:58 am ...One kind fella showed that the "curves " wb was the way. To which I agree...
Took me some time to find a question in your essay :lol:
(and still not entirely sure what the question is)
but there is no need at all for curves workbench, in fact I have never used it to create my piping - I do everything in Part Design workbench.
I am using Link branch and Assembly3
you can also download ... and try it here
excellent Assembly3 tutorials here
Stephen3

Post by Stephen3 »

Thank you for all the "help " Also thanks for moving the post to the relevant section , I wasn't sure where to post
unfortunately, not much of "the help" was of much use but thanks anyway

I did manage, after a very long time, to figure it out
As the "sweep" is complicated using methods , such as box outlines , draft , just wasn't happening ,, Curves allowed a top and side view to be drawn accurately and was relatively simple to use

body , sketch top , sketch side,, sketch diameter ... curves wb , select lower sketch on the tree first ( I don't know but if I selected top one first I got an error message saying "please select a part" ) then hit the mixed curves button ( yellow flag looking one )

Part design wb , move tube dia to start of "mixed curves " wire , highlight dia sketch , sweep , select edge , click changes to pink when selected , tube appears brown , complete the sweep click ok

However if something was amiss , for example in the sketches, if the changes in direction were not smooth , ie,a fillet wasn't used , then the sweep went hay wire

Also getting the dia sketch to the "start point " and at right angles to the wire ,,, was a bit hit and miss ,, Im not sure of the method "how to" I tried draft wb but got the error message "read-only "

finally as for using " real thunder" I just use the appimage , in ubuntu you just download and click ok ,, but that want the question I posed nor part of the solution

Tm glad I finally was able to finish this drawing and would be happy to show anyone else how I arrived at the result

Kind regards
Stephen
Stephen3

Post by Stephen3 »

Syres wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 5:53 am Fortunately from your screenshot I noticed you were using @realthunder's LinkDaily branch and I have a fairly recent compiled version of it to test.

As I'm not a PartDesign user I completed the sweep using the Part Wb and it passed the Geometry check but I did need to fully constrain your top view sketch and put a fillet part way down the 'main kink' to stop an error I've not seen before. There are so many differences between LinkDaily and master now that it's starting to feel like a different product when applying the same techniques but that might be just me.

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.28581 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: LinkDaily
Hash: 556c87868ea46796242156e9f73eae98259794b7
Python version: 3.6.9
Qt version: 5.9.5
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/UnitedKingdom (en_GB)
Thank you , this was helpful and yes I also had to add the "fillet" and fully constrain both drawings ( however it "sometimes worked without constraining hence the screenshot , but for safety sake I fully constrained ) ... Once again thank you for your input

Stephen