Drawing a tube using " curves wb"

Discussion about the development of the Assembly workbench.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Stephen3

Drawing a tube using " curves wb"

Post by Stephen3 »

Hi all
Happy new year
For a long time now , over a year , Ive been wanting to draw a tube accurately in the X, Y,Z plane. I been having a wonderful discussion about it over on Facebook free cad page. I not all that bright and the last "code " i used was in Bletchley park. So I wanted an elegant solution to my problem, no drawing squares or shapes or complicated techniques. One kind fella showed that the "curves " wb was the way. To which I agree Draw to view , side view curves wb hit the mixed and match button to produce a "wire? " ( or nurb?) anyway things "kinda " worked .... kinda Sometimes I can get the sweep to play along other times I cant. If I draw the side view and sweep I get a nice side view tube, If I draw a top view and sweep I get a nice top view tube ..but when I go into the curves wb and select side and top view then select mixed curve button , a "wire "is produced but when I try to sweep along the "wire" i get failed to recompute and I cannot select the next edge , sometimes I can ( Ive tried joining wire in the draft wb , upgrading separate bodies , single bodies you name it ive tried it ( i think ). so I wrote down my "procedure " for the top and side view sweeps that were successful followed that for the curves mixed wire and failed. So I "think " it is something to do with the wire that the curves wb produces. but as I pointed out before my only exposure to any "code was running Enigma traffic between the huts at blechley and removing Wrens stockings from between an programmable electronic computer called Colossus. Im not sure where to place this cry for help , so forgive if in the wrong place , the Curves wb look forum look like they are talking about something else . So Ill post here, any way following are the screenshots and file to aide Thanks in advance and once again Happy new Year ! ( freecad facebook page https://www.facebook.com/groups/416491481766626 )
Stephen ..in a lovely sunny but cold Japan
Attachments
Screenshot from 2022-01-02 12-53-03.png
Screenshot from 2022-01-02 12-53-03.png (152.92 KiB) Viewed 2569 times
frame lower sketch.FCStd
(55.66 KiB) Downloaded 30 times
frame lower side view .FCStd
(21.18 KiB) Downloaded 27 times
frame lower mixed sketch .FCStd
(25.91 KiB) Downloaded 32 times
Syres
Veteran

Re: Drawing a tube using " curves wb"

Post by Syres »

Fortunately from your screenshot I noticed you were using @realthunder's LinkDaily branch and I have a fairly recent compiled version of it to test.

As I'm not a PartDesign user I completed the sweep using the Part Wb and it passed the Geometry check but I did need to fully constrain your top view sketch and put a fillet part way down the 'main kink' to stop an error I've not seen before. There are so many differences between LinkDaily and master now that it's starting to feel like a different product when applying the same techniques but that might be just me.

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.28581 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: LinkDaily
Hash: 556c87868ea46796242156e9f73eae98259794b7
Python version: 3.6.9
Qt version: 5.9.5
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/UnitedKingdom (en_GB)
Attachments
frame lower sketch_Syres.FCStd
(23.75 KiB) Downloaded 25 times
Syres
Veteran

Post by Syres »

After fully recompiling LinkDaily branch (there were a large number of commits) I was able to complete the pipe using Part Design Wb and passed Geometry Check.

Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.20.30750 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: LinkDaily
Hash: 4977d11a6a947908086ad237854dc46d932be57f
Python version: 3.6.9
Qt version: 5.9.5
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/UnitedKingdom (en_GB)
Attachments
frame lower sketch_PD_Syres.FCStd
(27.51 KiB) Downloaded 26 times
thomas-neemann
Veteran

Post by thomas-neemann »

Syres wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 7:43 am After fully recompiling LinkDaily branch ...

apparently (my feeling) realthunder doesn't publish any new compiled versions anymore. I'm having a problem compiling, is there somewhere you can upload your version?
Last edited by thomas-neemann on Sun Jan 02, 2022 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gruß Dipl.-Ing. (FH) Thomas Neemann

https://www.youtube.com/@thomasneemann5 ... ry=freecad
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Post by Shalmeneser »

:idea:
Attachments
Pipe.FCStd
(119.85 KiB) Downloaded 29 times
Capture d’écran 2022-01-02 103000.png
Capture d’écran 2022-01-02 103000.png (70.92 KiB) Viewed 2398 times
Syres
Veteran

Post by Syres »

thomas-neemann wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:05 am apparently realthunder no longer publishes any new compiled versions. I have a problem with compiling, can you upload your version somewhere?
I don't think my build directory will be any use unless you have the exact same OCC, Python and Qt versions as me and I really don't want to get into making AppImages right now, sorry. I am a little taken aback that @realthunder isn't doing any new compiled versions, I can understand if he's not releasing them as frequently but surely if he wants good feedback to his changes the compiled versions help this immensely.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Syres wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 5:53 am There are so many differences between LinkDaily and master now that it's starting to feel like a different product when applying the same techniques but that might be just me.
Moved to Assembly forum. That's where this branch is discussed and where realthunder is watching.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
bambuko
Veteran

Post by bambuko »

thomas-neemann wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:05 am apparently realthunder no longer publishes any new compiled versions.
Where do you get this kind of misinformation from?
He has recently merged upstream 0.20 and is trying to finalize for a new release.
We are waiting patiently :ugeek:
I am using Link branch and Assembly3
you can also download ... and try it here
excellent Assembly3 tutorials here
bambuko
Veteran

Post by bambuko »

Syres wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:40 am .... I am a little taken aback that @realthunder isn't doing any new compiled versions, I can understand if he's not releasing them as frequently
that's how rumours start on internet :oops:
somebody says something wrong, it gets repeated and before you know it becomes "truth" :mrgreen:
fear not, new release is simply taking time - merging upstream is not an easy job for a team so imagine it being done by one guy...
bambuko
Veteran

Post by bambuko »

Syres wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 5:53 am ....There are so many differences between LinkDaily and master now that it's starting to feel like a different product when applying the same techniques but that might be just me....
No, it's not just you. I personally find it more and more difficult switching between "master" and "link"