Projection of a hole in Assembly 3

Discussion about the development of the Assembly workbench.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Footz

Re: Projection of a hole in Assembly 3

Post by Footz »

Well it doesn't work for me. All I get while I try to reuse your example assembly is Exception: No active body found. And believe me, I've tried to toggle the active body numerous times :cry:

And in the report window:
17:08:05 <Exception> Utils.cpp(1217): No active body found
17:08:22 <Sketch> SketchObject.cpp(7547): External geometry profile#Sketch001.e1 missing reference: Binder.;#bd;:H12f0,E;:H1316,E;BND:0:0;:H12e7:11,E;:H-1328:1d,E
17:08:22 <Exception> Missing external geometry reference
17:08:22 Recompute failed! Please check report view.
17:08:43 <Exception> Utils.cpp(1217): No active body found
bambuko
Veteran

Post by bambuko »

It's difficult (from a distance and without looking over your shoulder ...) to guess what you are doing wrong :oops:
Post the file you are trying to "re-use" just before it goes wrong - perhaps I can talk you through steps after that?
I am using Link branch and Assembly3
you can also download ... and try it here
excellent Assembly3 tutorials here
Footz

Post by Footz »

That's what I wanted to kindly ask. Maybe it is possible for you to make a yt video of creationg the assembly with the subshapebinder step by step or a GIF recording so I could see if there are some steps i've ommited? I'll probably try to upload the zip file of my master assembly using some upload service or google drive if this forum permits such weblinks at all.
I have managed to make a pocket in you external assembly but still dont understand how. Should i make subshapebinder in the original file? Or in the link files?
I'll try to upload your assembly in the state just before making the pocket.

As for now - really thanks for your help. It gave me more insight into the inticacies of assembly3 WB.
Footz

Post by Footz »

Here's the master assembly. Just for a clarification what i want is for the "farmer" two threaded holes, to be projectes on the "brama" profile, and then make pockets for bolts.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/11yKX8D ... sp=sharing

I've attached your assembly prior to subshapebinder creation adding a bit of a twist. I believe you have made the subshape binder in the parent body (bar) and then moved it to target link (profile) - so I have made things a bit more difficult. I have transformed the bar in the parent file a bit so it's moved in realation to the origin. How can we deal in such situation? In the assembly the the shapebinder pops up in a completly different place then we would have liked.
Attachments
assy_bar_profile_remake.zip
(86.71 KiB) Downloaded 17 times
bambuko
Veteran

Post by bambuko »

Footz wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:44 pm ...As for now - really thanks for your help.
I wouldn't be where I am with FreeCAD and assembly3 without generous help from others, so it is only fitting that I at least attempt to repay some of this debt ;)

BTW are you familiar with:
http://help-freecad-jpg87.fr/02_ass_ind.php

Well worth familiarising yourself with, if you want to master assembly3 !
bambuko
Veteran

Post by bambuko »

access denied

Footz wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:10 pm ...I've attached your assembly prior to subshapebinder creation adding a bit of a twist...
and there is your problem... :ugeek:
If you toggle active a link in the assembly it actually activates original body.
Any attempts to create sub-shape binder in these circumstances leads to cyclic references - or to put crudely FreeCAD gets it's nickers in a twist :lol:

I did create sub-shapebinder in the parent bodies, but I didn't "move" anything.
When I created a "link" to parent body and used this link in assembly it carried with itself all the stuff created in the parent body.

Footz wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:10 pm ...I have transformed the bar in the parent file a bit so it's moved in realation to the origin...

Compare the placement of the original/parent body and the placement of the link in assembly.
You will see that the "link" placement is that of the original body not the transformed body....
Footz

Post by Footz »

Acccess granted, you can try now.

I see. So I have to toggle active body on the parent to modify the link in the assembly?? Yes, there was some "cyclic" error.

Also when I've added the shapebinder in your assembly, and moved the parent body, the link didn't move, but the shapebinder did in the assembly, hence the problem becasue it was in another place to which I wanted it to be aligned.
Footz

Post by Footz »

Yes, I know that website, very helpful but this shapebinder - assembly thing is rather specific and I still can't grasp the workflow for it to work.
Should I Make part - add shapebinder by default - assemble - use shapebinder for modyffying other additional assembly parts?
bambuko
Veteran

Post by bambuko »

Just going through your files, it may take some time :lol:

EDIT:

I have put together "farmer assy" and "brama assy" to get the feel for what it is and without transforming anything this is what it looks like:
question.png
question.png (51.73 KiB) Viewed 1530 times

not being familiar with your design, I am guessing that I need to get things orientated slightly differently?
Footz

Post by Footz »

It should roughly look like that:
https://tinypic.host/i/farmer-brama.gzfp

exact placement is not needed for you showing me how to use shapebinder in that example, but for sake of beeing specific, this "farmer" has a plane constrain to the "brama" profile from the bottom of the profile (face to face) and one plane constrain to the front edge of the profile, and one to the end edge of the profile if you know what I mean( marked with red arrows)