Assembly 4 workbench

Discussion about the development of the Assembly workbench.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Zolko
Veteran

Re: Assembly 4 workbench

Post by Zolko »

Vincent B wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 6:23 pm @Zolko
could you make...
It depends: how much do you pay for it.
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD — tutorials here and here
freman
Veteran

Post by freman »

ppemawm wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 5:23 pm Please add your version information. It makes a difference.
freman wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 1:13 pm I would be more useful to have access to the sketch or at least to be able to align LCS with the parts own origin001.
Make the Body Origin001 planes visible. Open the Attachment panel and select one of the planes then an ObjectsXYZ mode or one which matches the orientation you want.

You can only attach to objects in the sketch that are visible, i.e. no construction lines. If you want to attach to a sketch you have to hide the feature.

If you start a new Body with the one from the Assembly4 workbench toolbar it will include a default LCS located and aligned at the body origin. Double click the Body and it will take you to the PartDesign workbench. Now, when you add the first sketch it will be automatically aligned with this LCS. You will not have to add any LCS's unless there are additional points of assembly on that body. I prefer to attach to sketches rather than body features for stability purposes.
Thanks. I am working from some previous work where sketches were created on YZ_Plane. I found I needed to edit the Assembly LCS; set attachment mode to detached; then select YZ_Plane00x and deselect Xaxis00x; then set attachment mode to "XY on plane", which actually comes out as FlatFace.

Once I'd synced all objects to the same , things started to line up.

I had tried attaching to planes, as you suggest but it threw an error about it being out of scope of the object ( or something similar ).
bernard_01

Post by bernard_01 »

Zolko wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:30 am
leoheck wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:52 pm Am I doing something wrong ? Is there a better way of reusing an object? How do I avoid those messages?
1) there is no need to put the 2 bodies inside parts, you can link (insert) the Bodies directly into the assembly
Very interesting your comment 1) which already answers partly the question I have:

In your excellent tutorial Asm4_Tutorial2 you have the blue bodies inside yellow Assembly 4 part containers. What are the benefits of that approach please?

When I add a model to an existing Part Design drawing with a single body in it, then the Assembly 4 workbench automatically creates a Parts node with that body under it and an empty model. So I guess I can proceed without the additional Assembly 4 part layer.

One benefit I can see is that the Assembly 4 part container allows me to create complex models of coordinate systems without bodies.

On the other hand if I have bodies then the containers are more work and the additional coordinate systems could be confusing.
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

bernard_01 wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:47 am In your excellent tutorial Asm4_Tutorial2 you have the blue bodies inside yellow Assembly 4 part containers. What are the benefits of that approach please?
none, it's a tutorial made long ago when Bodies (blue icon) couldn't be added directly to an Asm4 Model and needed to be wrapped inside a Part (yellow icon).

When I add a model to an existing Part Design drawing with a single body in it, then the Assembly 4 workbench automatically creates a Parts node with that body under it
Yes, but that's a "Group" only.
Vincent B
Veteran

Post by Vincent B »

Zolko wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 10:53 pm It depends: how much do you pay for it.
all the recognition and gratitude of the users of freecad users. :D :D :D
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

Vincent B wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 6:08 pm all the recognition and gratitude of the freecad users.
ah, well, that's invaluable of course

Vincent B wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 6:23 pm could you make a feature to carry out a list of coordinates of points?
https://github.com/FreeCAD/freecad.plot
why not ask the developer of the Plot WB to accommodate Asm4 animations ?
leoheck
Veteran

Post by leoheck »

[PROBLEM SOLVED] Please, check the next reply if needed.

I have the following scenario:

2 Parts each one with a single Body inside.

Both parts have holes to mount screws.

When I select the holes in the first Part (named Top_Cover) and create a new Hole Axis on them, the Hole Axis ends up being created directly inside the Part which is ok, since I can reference these holes while assembling Fasteners.

But, when I do the same with the second part (named Bottom_Cover), the Hole Axis ends up being created inside the Body. This is a different behavior, and I cannot access these Hole Axis in the assembly.

Do you have an idea of why this happens, and how to solve this?

This is where the Hole Axes are being created.
Screenshot-20220922105220-324x743.png
Screenshot-20220922105220-324x743.png (55.84 KiB) Viewed 1619 times
Updates:

- I cannot drag Hole_Axis out of the Body (ViewProvider::dropObject: no extension for dropping given object available.)
- If I remove Bodie from the Part, trying a different approach, then the Top_Cover_Body gives me problems and I can't place the Hole Axis inside of It.

Code: Select all

Running the Python command 'Asm4_newHole' failed:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/lheck/.local/share/FreeCAD/Mod/Assembly4/./newDatumCmd.py", line 215, in Activated
    parentDoc  = parentPart.Document

'NoneType' object has no attribute 'Document'
I don't know why and how these 2 Bodies are different. They were created toguether in the same way.
Last edited by leoheck on Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
leoheck
Veteran

Post by leoheck »

Alright, found the issue. The Property Display Mode (in the view tab) was different, it has to be "Tip" and not "Through" to do what I wanted.
bernard_01

Post by bernard_01 »

I am getting stuck with an assembly after renaming one LCS.

The attached zip file contains five files that form a nested assembly. Five files because I understand one file can only hold one model. Which I think is a good limitation because complexity and confusion could get out of hand otherwise.

My task is the following: Get all attachment LCS pairs aligned in all 3 axis directions, congruent.

For that, I need to have understanding of the LCSs because it seems I get confused easily with this.

I remember that earlier, I renamed in Z_AxisLinearArm.FCStd an "Attached To" LCS from LCS_A_Axis_RotationalArmPart to LCS_A_Axis_RotationalArmAssembly (I hope I remember this correctly).

The rename succeeded in the Model view, and LCS_A_Axis_RotationalArmAssembly is visible there.

But when I focus on the linked model A_Axis_RotationalArm under the model of Z_AxisLinearArm.FCStd, then in the Property Sheet the "Attached To" value is still old:

External link in model of Z_AxisLinearArm.FCStd

Link
Linked object: A_Axis_RotationalArm#Model

Assembly
Attached By: #LCS_A_Axis_RotationalArmParent
Attached To: Parent Assembly#LCS_A_Axis_RotationalArmPart ######## - This is missing.
It should actually be attached to Parent Assembly#LCS_A_Axis_RotationalArmAssembly

I am now confused because the Property Sheet is the only orientation I have to discover the structure of the assembly. That means I cannot complete my task.

If I wanted to write a program that validates the structure of an assembly model, then I would not know what exactly that program would be looking at - meaning I would not know whether that program is tricked into believing that everything is correct when in fact something is broken.

The issue appeared with version 0.12.3 but I have since upgraded to 0.12.4

Thanks!

Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.20.29177 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-20
Hash: 68e337670e227889217652ddac593c93b5e8dc94
Python 3.8.10, Qt 5.15.2, Coin 4.0.1, Vtk 8.2.0, OCC 7.6.2
Locale: English/New Zealand (en_NZ)
Installed mods:
* Assembly4 0.12.4
Attachments
RobotAssembly.zip
(72.71 KiB) Downloaded 32 times
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

bernard_01 wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:46 am I renamed in Z_AxisLinearArm.FCStd an "Attached To" LCS from LCS_A_Axis_RotationalArmPart to LCS_A_Axis_RotationalArmAssembly
what do you mean by "I renamed an Attached To ..." ? These properties are handled by the "place part" function, if you edit them by hand you must be very sure you know what you're doing