Assembly3 preview

Discussion about the development of the Assembly workbench.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
HoWil
Veteran

Re: Assembly3 preview

Post by HoWil »

bambuko wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 5:58 pm
HoWil wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 3:19 pm ...is there a reason why the 'change linked object' is 'grayed-out'/disabled for me the combo-view is the intuitive way (oldschool maybe).
Sorry, don't quite follow you about "change linked object" :?
Any chances of screen grab pointing to what you are trying to do?
the button is 'grayed-out'
the button is 'grayed-out'
Screenshot from 2021-11-15 19-38-31_mod.png (77.38 KiB) Viewed 7780 times
for a many elements like a sketch you can change here the reference-element and select it with.....
for a many elements like a sketch you can change here the reference-element and select it with.....
Screenshot from 2021-11-15 19-43-50_mod.png (86.27 KiB) Viewed 7780 times
an extra window for selecting the reference
an extra window for selecting the reference
Screenshot from 2021-11-15 19-44-05.png (47.55 KiB) Viewed 7780 times
hope this helps....
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

HoWil wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:51 pm Dear realthunder,
Is there a way to redefine a broken Element? Currently in Combo-View under Link->Linked object the button 'change linked object' is 'grayed-out'/disabled.
It would help a lot if one could redefine the linked face/element after faces were messed up with topo-renaming-problems!
BR,
Howil
using your stable link branch 10.15
Not exactly sure which action you're referring to, but Element is not Link. It is more like a shape binder. It has its own shape. You can even deliberately detach an Element (right click tree view item and select action 'detach') from its source. It will retain its shape, and the assembly will still work.
Try Assembly3 with my custom build of FreeCAD at here.
And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal
bambuko
Veteran

Post by bambuko »

realthunder wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:59 pm ... but Element is not Link. It is more like a shape binder...
And that's why you cannot change element's linked object and the option is "greyed out"
but... perhaps what is confusing, is the fact that the option to "change the linked option" appears even though it is not possible to use it.

I personally get used to idiosyncrasies of FreeCAD :mrgreen: and move on... ;)
I am using Link branch and Assembly3
you can also download ... and try it here
excellent Assembly3 tutorials here
HoWil
Veteran

Post by HoWil »

realthunder wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:59 pm [ Not exactly sure which action you're referring to, but Element is not Link. It is more like a shape binder. It has its own shape. You can even deliberately detach an Element (right click tree view item and select action 'detach') from its source. It will retain its shape, and the assembly will still work.
So, if one can change or repair an element by drag-and-dropping a new element onto it, why can't I change it from within the combo-view (as shown in my last post).
BR
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

HoWil wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:03 pm So, if one can change or repair an element by drag-and-dropping a new element onto it, why can't I change it from within the combo-view (as shown in my last post).
BR
I see. You meant to directly edit the 'LinkedObject' property. It can still be done if you really want to. Right click this the 'LinkedObject' and select 'Show all' and then uncheck 'Read Only'.

But, I would advise against it. The Element is a very important concept in asm3. It has special requirements on its linked object, especially for the the element of a sub-assembly. It is not supposed to directly reference any models inside a sub-assembly. It will only indirectly reference it through the element in that sub-assembly. When you do drag and drop, it will automatically create one in the sub-assembly if there is no corresponding element, and recursively do so if necessary.
And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal
josegegas

Post by josegegas »

Hi.

I think you may want to consider using MBDyn as a solver for the Assemby3 workbench. MBDym is capable of solving complex assemblies. An approach to use it for an assembly workbench may be to use only static (massless) nodes and define any kind of joint required (in-line, in-plane, prismatic, etc...). Then launch MBDyn and position the CAD parts where MBDyn says they should be in order to satisfy the constrains.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

what's the advantage over the current solver?
ToniTen

Post by ToniTen »

RealThunder, if I find genuine, reproducible issues with Assembly3, do you prefer if I report them directly to your github, or do you prefer if I raise them here instead (or both?)?
skopjanecot

Post by skopjanecot »

I get a weird bug and a crush on both Linux and macOS when I try to move whole object tree to a new body. Let me know if there is a way I can provide more information.
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

ToniTen wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:36 pm RealThunder, if I find genuine, reproducible issues with Assembly3, do you prefer if I report them directly to your github, or do you prefer if I raise them here instead (or both?)?
I prefer issue report on github. Thanks.