[Feature request] Tool like "Hole", for cylinders

About the development of the Part Design module/workbench. PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
KrwawyHegemon

[Feature request] Tool like "Hole", for cylinders

Post by KrwawyHegemon »

Would be awesome to have tool with would put standard threads on external walls of cylinders.

Model of work would be something like this:
After extruding circle, we are clicking cylinder wall and chose "thread tool".
We are are choosing standard thread dimensions, direction of thread, side from with thread starts, height of thread, maybe some tolerance, thread ending.
NewJoker
Veteran

Re: [Feature request] Tool like "Hole", for cylinders

Post by NewJoker »

That’s right, automatic generation of standardized real threads for screws/rods would be very useful.

I mentioned it briefly here:

NewJoker wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 7:33 pm But once cosmetic threads are developed, it would be a shame not to implement them for male threads (screws, threaded rods and so on) as well. I just don't know how to do it, a separate tool would probably be needed.
But that topic focused on cosmetic threads that are also often requested for FreeCAD.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

In any case it could integrated as presets for the helix tool, hole is, as the name implies, for making holes. If you're not 3d printing it's questionable how useful modelling a thread is though, and when 3d printing standard thread sizes might not be the best choice.
NewJoker
Veteran

Post by NewJoker »

adrianinsaval wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:31 pm If you're not 3d printing it's questionable how useful modelling a thread is though, and when 3d printing standard thread sizes might not be the best choice.
Cosmetic threads are still unsupported so real ones are the only option when it’s necessary to include threads in the design.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I like the idea of having an additive equivalent to the hole feature. Modeling of shafts with a threaded end comes to mind and integration into PartDesign is probably smoother than with Fasteners.

I would like to see the ModelThread property to be expression aware, so that modeling can take plece without threads and for a final nice looking display version the threads can be included in a single step.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

adrianinsaval wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:31 pm In any case it could integrated as presets for the helix tool, hole is, as the name implies, for making holes. If you're not 3d printing it's questionable how useful modelling a thread is though, and when 3d printing standard thread sizes might not be the best choice.
Even with 3D printing i'm doubting the usefullness. In my experience 3D printing is way harder and almost never the required result. Better is cutting threads with tabs or when a bit more strength is needed use inserts...
KrwawyHegemon

Post by KrwawyHegemon »

Additive or subtrative threding tool would be usefull even in 3d printing.
I have use to to use tap on printed threds with good results.

In hole tool we can apply tolerance for standard threds so it is not problem to print even small diameter hole with threds that fit metal screws.

I would be veary thankful for tool like theas implemented in part design
onekk
Veteran

Post by onekk »

KrwawyHegemon wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 5:51 pm ...
Yes, but if you use a 3d printer, at least the FDM ones, it is difficult to obtain enough tolerance to make correctly a thread.

"circular holes" are the most difficult things to obtain when 3d printing as from what i know they are not respected in diameters, for some "good reasons" that is usually explained by the slicer manual.

If you can't be sure that a "circular hole" has a proper diameter it is difficult to achieve, so every circular shape is approximated as a "stepped polygon".

Take in account that to make a thread you have to respect the circular dimension and the helix pitch, and this has to be achieved with the "squeezing" of multiple cylinders, see maybe:

https://manual.slic3r.org/advanced/flow-math

https://manual.slic3r.org/troubleshooti ... ion-errors

For a rough idea.

Even if you don't use slic3r other slicer are not very different as the nozzle is the same and it extrude cylinder, maybe you have "calibrated nozzle diameters" and precision movement, but shrinkage and other things, are very difficult to control.

Different things could be if you use other type of "3d printer" but they are rarely available for a "common user".

Kind Regards.

Carlo D.
GitHub page: https://github.com/onekk/freecad-doc.
- In deep articles on FreeCAD.
- Learning how to model with scripting.
- Various other stuffs.

Blog: https://okkmkblog.wordpress.com/