[Feature Suggestion] Add more standard options to the "Hole cut" drop down in the Hole dialog

About the development of the Part Design module/workbench. PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
ToniTen

[Feature Suggestion] Add more standard options to the "Hole cut" drop down in the Hole dialog

Post by ToniTen »

Right now the Hole dialog provides a lot of options for Hole cut
Hole Cut options.png
Hole Cut options.png (19.25 KiB) Viewed 1176 times
However, one option I would really appreciate is adding DIN 127 split washers (commonly known as "Grower washers") Common combinations would be:
  • ISO 4762 + DIN 127
  • DIN 7984 + DIN 127
DIN 127 spring washers are inexpensive lock spring steel washers that preload the screw and help prevent it getting loose. One of their main advantages is that they're usually not bigger than the screw head for a screw of the same metric. Adding them would basically mean increasing the default depth of the "Hole cut" by the thickness of the screw (or maybe there are norms on counterbores that provide guidance there)
user1234
Veteran

Re: [Feature Suggestion] Add more standard options to the "Hole cut" drop down in the Hole dialog

Post by user1234 »

fyi: DIN127 is retired, because its ineffectiveness (i can confirm that in RL).

(When having vibration, then DIN 6796, Loctite 243 (or equivalent) or schnorrdisc https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schnorrscheibe is good).

Greetings
user1234
Joyas

Re: [Feature Suggestion] Add more standard options to the "Hole cut" drop down in the Hole dialog

Post by Joyas »

I don't agree about using the "deprecated" concept here. Those options are still used in commercial CAD programs such Catia V5 (I have used it recently very often, and I hope to get a job and keep using it or other CAD :( ). They provide an option for custom measures.

I would use "(generic)" instead, also I would add the old DIN reference between parentheses:

Code: Select all

Countersink (generic)
EN ISO 4762 ("DIN 912")
The reason is that a lot of people know better the old DIN reference. I have seen screw boxes labelled as DIN 912 instead of the ISO reference, using both references would help the user.
I don't know if an additional icon can be provided, that would help the user a lot.
Estudié ingeniería técnica industrial en España y sólo me ha servido para estar en el paro, no me contratan porque no tengo experiencia, y no tengo experiencia porque no me contratan. No debí estudiar esa carrera.