[Feature idea] Rotate, scale, move sketcher geo

About the development of the Part Design module/workbench. PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Re: [Feature idea] Rotate, scale, move sketcher geo

Post by adrianinsaval »

Pauvres_honteux wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:22 am Hi jonasb, my interpretation of this particular part of your request is, it should be solved by my feature request
[Ticket #4250] Sketcher placement and its axis visualisation
A feature request is not a solution, it's just a wish. Furthermore your FR is IMO incorrectly worded but let's talk about that there not here.
abdullah
Veteran

Post by abdullah »

Very shortly!

There is a tool for making a geometry rotatable. It is called "Remove Axes Alignment".

Might this be what you want? It appears one only has to add an angle constraint to rotate the thing.

For scaling, I would think of something similar to that. Maybe both can be grouped together under the same toolbar. I am not sure what you want to achieve and how you want to manage any existing dimensional constraint.

Should the command only operate if no dimensionals are present? Should the command apply a scaling factor to everything, including dimensional constraints and if a expression, changing the expression by inserting the scaling factor? Should the scaling ignore dimensional constraints, leave them unchanged, but yet scale the rest?
paddle
Veteran

Post by paddle »

For scaling constraints can be conserved by multiplying by the scale factor.
It's most useful for imported complex geometries.

Rotation is also useful to rotate imported geometries.
But it's also extremely useful to make geometries with an axis of symetry. Such as cogwheels.
You can see the catia tools in this video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ngOxgt ... rdeepSingh
paddle
Veteran

Post by paddle »

So I wanted to try rotation next. I already done the icon so that's already something :D (see on top)

I was thinking about how to do this and came up with several possibilities I'm not sure which is the most appropriate.

The first thing I noticed is that if the geometries you want to move are fully constrained together and tied to a fix point, then you can rotate them by dragging one of the elements. Though the solver goes a little bit crazy it kind of work. So the first idea was to :
- Constrain the group together and fix last selected point.
- Make a drag of one element
- Remove the constraints that have been added.

Then idea no 2 :
- Modify the geometries one by one by editing all the points coordinate.

What do you think?