[Feature idea] Rotate, scale, move sketcher geo

About the development of the Part Design module/workbench. PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
paddle
Veteran

[Feature idea] Rotate, scale, move sketcher geo

Post by paddle »

Hi there,

Another tools which are really missing in the sketcher are the ability to select some sketcher geometries and :
- Rotate them
- Scale them

Rotate functionality could also be used to make a axis symetry tool. To make axial symetric patterns. Such as holes along a circle.

Your thoughts?
Sketcher_Rotate.svg
(27.03 KiB) Downloaded 57 times
Attachments
rotate icon.png
rotate icon.png (47.71 KiB) Viewed 2561 times
Last edited by paddle on Fri Feb 11, 2022 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chrisb
Veteran

Re: [Feature idea] Rotate, scale, move sketcher geo

Post by chrisb »

I never needed such rotate.

I need such scale only in the context of dimensioning, when applying the first length dimension, then it would be helpful if the sketch was scaled down or up accordingly.
This special initial scaling has already been discussed somewhere in the forum.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
paddle
Veteran

Post by paddle »

I use them quite often personally. Especially when you use imported geometries/dxf such as text or vectorial drawings.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

Agreed, having the option of making a rotated/scaled copy instead of modifying the selection might be helpful too but it's not critical. How should constrained geometry be handled?
paddle
Veteran

Post by paddle »

For constraint the idea is to keep as many constraints as the transformation enable. And to modify them when needed (scale dimensions constraints for scaling tool)
jonasb

Post by jonasb »

What I need from time to time is a "move/rotate everything". So basically a simple way move/rotate the origin (IIRC there was a macro to reorient a sketch; have to search again).

My use case is this: I start a sketch and later I realise that with a different origin I could much easier achieve my goals by leveraging symmetries. Ideally with the option to adapt the attachment offset along the way so that the resulting wires stay at the same place in space.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

that sounds too specific to your use case :?
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

paddle wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 1:21 pm For constraint the idea is to keep as many constraints as the transformation enable. And to modify them when needed (scale dimensions constraints for scaling tool)
sounds complicated, do we have a reference of how other CAD do it? I'm not sure how reliable (o desirable) it is to automatically modify constraints. Also consider the situation of constraints driven by expressions, what to do then? remove the expression? add a scale factor?
paddle
Veteran

Post by paddle »

adrianinsaval wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:16 pm sounds complicated, do we have a reference of how other CAD do it? I'm not sure how reliable (o desirable) it is to automatically modify constraints. Also consider the situation of constraints driven by expressions, what to do then? remove the expression? add a scale factor?
I have seen how Catia handles rotation and scale.
I had in mind to simply multiply the value by the scale factor :) Though I'm not sure if that's possible.
For the constraints driven by expression I'm not sure how to handle them.
Pauvres_honteux

Post by Pauvres_honteux »

jonasb wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 3:35 pm What I need from time to time is a "move/rotate everything". So basically a simple way move/rotate the origin...

My use case is this: I start a sketch and later I realise that with a different origin I could much easier achieve my goals by leveraging symmetries. Ideally with the option to adapt the attachment offset along the way so that the resulting wires stay at the same place in space.
Hi jonasb, my interpretation of this particular part of your request is, it should be solved by my feature request
Ticket #4250 Sketcher placement and its axis visualisation

For the scaling part of your request, what happens with the sketch(and its content) if you apply scaling on the "not opened" sketch? It est, the sketch is not in edit mode. In other words, you scale the whole sketch "from the outside"?

URL Corrected
Last edited by Pauvres_honteux on Wed Jan 05, 2022 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.