Polar pattern with translation

About the development of the Part Design module/workbench. PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
blaisegassend

Polar pattern with translation

Post by blaisegassend »

Hi,

I found the need today to do a polar pattern where each copy is translated along the axis of rotation. (I want to call this a glide rotation, but I'm not sure that term actually exists.) Seems I'm not the first one to look for something like this: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?p=334246

I'm curious, if I were to add a translation parameter to the Polar Pattern Transform, is that a feature that would likely to be accepted for inclusion in Freecad? (Feeling the waters before diving in...)

Thanks,
Blaise
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Polar pattern with translation

Post by chrisb »

Is this a PathArray along a helix?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
blaisegassend

Post by blaisegassend »

Good question. I'll try that. But one could also ask whether a PolarPattern is a PathArray along a circle, so I think it could still be valuable.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

You can also use a PolarArray and adapt the vertical IntervalAxis
Attachments
polarArray.FCStd
(7.19 KiB) Downloaded 42 times
SnipScreenshot-e8c15f.png
SnipScreenshot-e8c15f.png (39.56 KiB) Viewed 2168 times
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
blaisegassend

Post by blaisegassend »

Thank you! Indeed, IntervalAxis is exactly what I had in mind, and I was able to get what I wanted to do done with it. No way I would have discovered it by chance, so thank you for pointing it out. It seems to me it would be just as useful to have an IntervalAxis parameter on PolarArray.

So back to my initial question, if I was to add such a parameter to PolarPattern, would that be considered for inclusion? And should I follow the same pattern as for PolarArray: have the parameter, but don't expose it in the UI?
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

blaisegassend wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 5:40 am So back to my initial question, if I was to add such a parameter to PolarPattern, would that be considered for inclusion? And should I follow the same pattern as for PolarArray: have the parameter, but don't expose it in the UI?
I think it would be useful and it should be implemented in the same way; other power users should weigh in.