[Feature request] Rounded slot

About the development of the Part Design module/workbench. PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: [Feature request] Rounded slot

Post by Kunda1 »

Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

paddle wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 2:13 pm I rebuilt the project and it's now working !
So the function is completely working and waiting for approval!
when your feature is ready you should do a pull request to the freecad repo
abdullah
Veteran

Post by abdullah »

An update:

I started today to give a look to the overall work. I rebased all commits (from the different branches) on a recent master to avoid merges from cluttering the code review:
https://github.com/abdullahtahiriyo/Fre ... ddlestroke

I will be referring to this branch code.

As a note, I strongly prefer to have code rebased on a given commit of master. It does not need to be the latest. But it should allow a fast-forward merge. I am not fan of (3-way) merges from master into the branch and then merges of the branch into master. It is not a problem that the latest changes of master are not in the branch. They can be brought very easily if necessary after the review of the code with:

Code: Select all

git pull --rebase upstream master
Any conflict is solved during this rebase and the fast-forward merge is possible. There is no cleaner way and it gives a beautiful history.

About code, I have given a quick look. There are things that will need to change. But the code available is good enough to get an idea of what is wanted and how it is to be achieved. Because there are several functionalities proposed, I want to talk functionality first.

I will consider in this thread all the functionality that is proposed. This means I will be making references to chamfers and slots here. I am sorry this may be not be orthodox, but it is best for me to handle the requests.

I want to make sure I understand the functionality first. So I will be asking some questions about the functionality in this thread in the following days.
paddle
Veteran

Post by paddle »

abdullah wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 4:57 pm About code, I have given a quick look. There are things that will need to change. But the code available is good enough to get an idea of what is wanted and how it is to be achieved. Because there are several functionalities proposed, I want to talk functionality first.

I will consider in this thread all the functionality that is proposed. This means I will be making references to chamfers and slots here. I am sorry this may be not be orthodox, but it is best for me to handle the requests.

I want to make sure I understand the functionality first. So I will be asking some questions about the functionality in this thread in the following days.
Hi Abdullah!
Thanks for your feedback.

Ok for this way, though for the git beginner that I am, I may be confused if further work is needed from my part. I even had trouble editing back the chamfer tool branch after I made tyhe new branch for the slot tool.

Regarding the functionality :
1 - For slot :
- 3 points slot is in my opinion the way the basic slot tool should work. I created as a new tool rather than editing the original tool in order to prevent any regression. Also some people might prefer the 2 points slot I guess.
- The 3 new slot tools have been made following the slot tool architecture closely. I tested them extensively and they seem to work without issue. Only the auto-test part that Kunda1 mentioned has not been implemented.
Also you may want to have a look at the shortcuts which may not be optimal.

Regarding the usefullness :
Some people argued that arc slot is a useless tool. But the fact that most CAD software have this tool is against that opinion.
Besides many users asked for it :
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 10&t=56329
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 3&p=231133
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?t=13932
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 1&p=499675
https://www.reddit.com/r/FreeCAD/commen ... ease_help/

2 - For chamfer tool :

Regarding the functionality :
- Chamfer with point has been created to match the existence of fillet with point.

Regarding the usefullness :
- Chamfer is a very basic tool of 2D CAD software.
- Polychamfers and inward polychamfers/fillets usefulness raise much more questions. I agree they may be overkill, and I thought about them in the first place only because I had to make such once in a project, and it seemed rather easy to do after implementing chamfer tool.
Having said that, another person brought the attention to a usecase in turned parts (parts made on lathes) where it could be very useful.
So my reasoning is that if it does not bloat the UI, yet provides a more powerful tool in some usecase, why not implementing it?
I agree that currently with the 4 entries it feels heavy on the UI. So I think the best would be to reduce those four entries to only one called 'Complex corners' which would open a dialogue box with 'number of angle' int box, 'inward' boolean checkbox box.
This way with only one entry which doesn't bloat the fillet comp, we keep this powerful-not-often-useful tool.

Cheers
abdullah
Veteran

Post by abdullah »

paddle wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 5:06 pm Hi Abdullah!
Thanks for your feedback.
I wanted to actually provide more feedback, but life got in the middle.

I am afraid I won't be able to follow up on this before end January.

I am really sorry :( :( :(