Supporting point sections in loft (and maybe sweep)

About the development of the Part Design module/workbench. PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
jnxd

Supporting point sections in loft (and maybe sweep)

Post by jnxd »

Starting a forum thread to discuss PR #5170, which addresses issue #4607.

As mentioned in the PR, the BRepOffsetAPI_ThruSections method that forms the crux of loft supports the first and the last sections to be vertices instead of wires.

My plan of action is as follows:
  1. Allow points of 3D objects to be used as "last section" for loft: [DONE] this was straightforward since we already only take one subelement of the solid (a face, see these lines for reference). I just had to skip making the end face when it is a point.
  2. Allow points of 3D objects to be used as "profile" for loft: [ETA: DONE] this should be just as straightforward, just that it is handled differently and uses a method from the superclass ProfileBased::getProfileWires() which I might have to work around.
  3. Allow points from a sketch to be used for profile and/or last section: [ETA: DONE] needs some changes picking a vertex instead of the entire sketch.
  4. Ensure the loft can be created in both dialog and selection based flows while mixing and matching point sections: [ETA until the bugs stop coming or I get tired :)]
  5. Repeat the above steps for sweep: [ETA: maybe 20 Nov?]
Last edited by jnxd on Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Re: Supporting point sections in loft (and maybe sweep)

Post by adrianinsaval »

did you take a look at my example file on github? (attached here too) we can have sketches with a single point visible outside sketcher, after creating a point they can be toggled to defining geometry (this was introduced late in 0.19 dev cycle IIRC). Selecting a sketch that has a single point should be supported too.
Attachments
sketchPointVisible.FCStd
(7.37 KiB) Downloaded 62 times
jnxd

Re: Supporting point sections in loft (and maybe sweep)

Post by jnxd »

adrianinsaval wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:46 am did you take a look at my example file on github? (attached here too) we can have sketches with a single point visible outside sketcher, after creating a point they can be toggled to defining geometry (this was introduced late in 0.19 dev cycle IIRC). Selecting a sketch that has a single point should be supported too.
I did check it recently, but forgot to mention. I can see that it is visible only when set as a reference vertex. I do not know what implications it'll have on making the loft, but I'll get to it in due time.