FemByGen Workbench - Parametric FEM Analysis

About the development of the FEM module/workbench.

Moderator: bernd

serince

FemByGen Workbench - Parametric FEM Analysis

Post by serince »

We have created a parametric Finite Element analysis workbench. Basically based on your paramameters, it creates freecad file and analyse generations and shows all results in a table.

github address: https://github.com/Serince/FEMbyGEN

It has 5 commands.
1) Intiate : Creating a spreadsheet which name is Parameters. User define its parameters in the file and assign his/her model.
2) Alias : Assigning name of parameter to dimesions
3) Generate: It creates files and meshes for all combination of your parameters.
4) FEA : Running all FEM analysis of generated files.
5) Results: Getting all results to master file and merge all Loadcases in one.

Usage:
First, you need to create a master file which includes Calculix Analysis. By using above commands you can generate generations. By clicking initiate following screen (spreadsheet) open and you can define your model parameter. To assign this to your model, please check spreadsheet tutorial.
Screenshot from 2022-09-14 15-50-32.png
Screenshot from 2022-09-14 15-50-32.png (41.04 KiB) Viewed 19367 times
Then, second button to generate files. Following screen shows the generated parameters file. You can open the files by clicking row of table.
Screenshot from 2022-09-14 15-50-58.png
Screenshot from 2022-09-14 15-50-58.png (34.99 KiB) Viewed 19367 times
Other button for analysis, by clicking it, you can run all analysis.
Screenshot from 2022-09-14 15-51-15.png
Screenshot from 2022-09-14 15-51-15.png (27.77 KiB) Viewed 19367 times
At the end, results button to get all results to master file and shows in table. To choose best design you can use the table. bottom of the screen there is weight parameters. You can write wights here (total needs to be 100), It sorts results.
Screenshot from 2022-09-14 15-51-43.png
Screenshot from 2022-09-14 15-51-43.png (70.72 KiB) Viewed 19367 times
And it combines all loadcases in a result object to see results under tree view in Results group.
Screenshot from 2022-09-14 15-59-53.png
Screenshot from 2022-09-14 15-59-53.png (14.8 KiB) Viewed 19366 times
Features:
It supports more than an Analysis (Load Cases) in master file.
It combines all load cases results in one Result objects
It supports both Gmsh and Netgen
It merges all load case results in a result to see all in one to choose optimum.
You can range results by weight of output parameters.
NewJoker
Veteran

Re: FemByGen Workbench - Parametric FEM Analysis

Post by NewJoker »

Great, running multiple analyses in the FEM workbench is very tedious - you have to delete all the result objects and resubmit the analysis manually. This makes it difficult to perform parametric studies. Also, it’s a good idea to make use of the Spreadsheet workbench to automate analyses. Hopefully, this workbench will be added to Add-on Manager and maybe merged with master in the future.
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

Wow! This is amazing :D and covers the use case I desperately miss in our FEM WB.

You should also share your nice advertisement page:
https://mightybucket.github.io/projects ... ation.html

---------------------------

What are your plans? Would you like to work on the workbench more or do you have no other plans?
If you would like to work more on the workbench, be hereby kindly invited :)

From my point of view the next steps would be:
1. make the workbench installable using our AddonManager. See here how it's done (it is really easy ;) ): https://wiki.freecadweb.org/Addon
2. use the new spreadsheet feature to have different configurations: https://wiki.freecad.org/Spreadsheet_Wo ... ion_tables
step 2. is not a must-have but I assume it eases the coding a lot since every change in geometry can be done by creating a new configuration.

Then I have a question:
in practice I am often confronted to decide in which direction I should change the geometry according to the simulation results. For example taking your headphone example: i start making the rd thicker and the simulation results show that the stress gets worse, then the process must be stopped, meaning the steps to make the rod even more thicker must be cancelled, but the rod must be made thinner. This would save a lot of calculation time.
Is this possible with your workbench?

Can you please attach here (or link) a *.FCStd file so test your workbench in action? This would help me.

best regards and again a wow :)
Uwe
serince

Post by serince »

For your question, if you define max, min of rod thickness and it allows you to create as many thicknesses as you want in this range and see the analysis of all of them in a single table. In fact, not only this, you can also make the rod width another parameter and create as many combinations as you want in the range you specify.

I've attached an example file
tutorial.FCStd
(113.04 KiB) Downloaded 116 times
. Because of the file size, I have deleted analysis files and results. Therefore you need to open FEMbyGen workbench and continue from generate, fea analysis to run simulations and results button.

Meanwhile, the one with the best stress is not always the best. Its mass (volume) and homogeneous distribution of stress to the whole structure (Internal energy density standard deviation in the resul table) are important.

Next thing is to add this workbench to Freecad addon repository. We have also other plans.

1) Topology optimization to the selected case by using https://github.com/calculix/beso
2) It creates full combinations of the parameters to analyze (Full factorial), adding Taguchi method to analyze less number of simulation to get best case.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

I can add to the addon manager, but has anyone done a cursory vetting of the code before we add it ?
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

Kunda1 wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 1:15 pm I can add to the addon manager, but has anyone done a cursory vetting of the code before we add it ?
That would be nice. Many thanks in advance!

Since it is an addon, it can safely be added. If there would be issues, we will find it out this way. Once it is registered as addon more people will try it and report back in case..
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

serince wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 8:09 am Next thing is to add this workbench to Freecad addon repository. We have also other plans.
1) Topology optimization to the selected case by using https://github.com/calculix/beso
2) It creates full combinations of the parameters to analyze (Full factorial), adding Taguchi method to analyze less number of simulation to get best case.
Many thanks for your example.
Your plans sound interesting.

What about my proposal to use Spreadsheet's configurations. Wouldn't that be something nice to have?
serince

Post by serince »

What about my proposal to use Spreadsheet's configurations. Wouldn't that be something nice to have?
It is really nice feature. FemByGen is doing same thing one by one. When you click generate button it creates all variants of input parameters. I think I will use the configutration when I apply Taguchi method in that case not all variants will apply.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Added FEMbyGEN addon to Addon repo (https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD-addo ... 783ca18908)

Congrats!

Edit: please enable the ability to open tickets on https://github.com/Serince/FEMbyGEN
Right now there is only the ability to make PRs.
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
markus_freecad

Post by markus_freecad »

Hi,
I have problems with an easy test example.
test_Parameter_CAD_FEM-Setup.FCStd
(91.08 KiB) Downloaded 100 times

The cad-generation with different parameters + fem-analysis of all examples is working, but I am getting erros during the Result output:

Code: Select all

10:17:24  Calculating metrics...C:\Program Files\FreeCAD 0.20\bin\lib\site-packages\numpy\core\_methods.py:233: RuntimeWarning: Degrees of freedom <= 0 for slice
  ret = _var(a, axis=axis, dtype=dtype, out=out, ddof=ddof,
10:17:32  C:\Program Files\FreeCAD 0.20\bin\lib\site-packages\numpy\core\_methods.py:194: RuntimeWarning: invalid value encountered in true_divide
  arrmean = um.true_divide(
10:17:32  C:\Program Files\FreeCAD 0.20\bin\lib\site-packages\numpy\core\_methods.py:226: RuntimeWarning: invalid value encountered in double_scalars
  ret = ret.dtype.type(ret / rcount)
10:17:32  C:\Program Files\FreeCAD 0.20\bin\lib\site-packages\numpy\core\fromnumeric.py:3372: RuntimeWarning: Mean of empty slice.
  return _methods._mean(a, axis=axis, dtype=dtype,
10:17:32  C:\Program Files\FreeCAD 0.20\bin\lib\site-packages\numpy\core\_methods.py:170: RuntimeWarning: invalid value encountered in double_scalars
  ret = ret.dtype.type(ret / rcount)
10:17:32  Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Users\userms\AppData\Roaming\FreeCAD\Mod\FEMbyGEN\.\fembygen\Results.py", line 459, in setEdit
    taskd = ResultsPanel(vobj)
  File "C:\Users\userms\AppData\Roaming\FreeCAD\Mod\FEMbyGEN\.\fembygen\Results.py", line 83, in __init__
    self.calcAndSaveFEAMetrics()
  File "C:\Users\userms\AppData\Roaming\FreeCAD\Mod\FEMbyGEN\.\fembygen\Results.py", line 195, in calcAndSaveFEAMetrics
    resultAll, resultSum = self.calculateFEAMetric()
  File "C:\Users\userms\AppData\Roaming\FreeCAD\Mod\FEMbyGEN\.\fembygen\Results.py", line 242, in calculateFEAMetric
    maxStr = np.max(res[k:k+j, 4])
  File "<__array_function__ internals>", line 5, in amax
  File "C:\Program Files\FreeCAD 0.20\bin\lib\site-packages\numpy\core\fromnumeric.py", line 2705, in amax
    return _wrapreduction(a, np.maximum, 'max', axis, None, out,
  File "C:\Program Files\FreeCAD 0.20\bin\lib\site-packages\numpy\core\fromnumeric.py", line 87, in _wrapreduction
    return ufunc.reduce(obj, axis, dtype, out, **passkwargs)
<class 'ValueError'>: zero-size array to reduction operation maximum which has no identity
At the end there is no result matrix because of this.
Could anyone help?

Kindly regards
Markus
Last edited by Kunda1 on Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added code tags