Altair has opensourced Radioss into OpenRadioss (Maybe we can add it as a FEM solver?)

About the development of the FEM module/workbench.

Moderator: bernd

aerospaceweeb

Re: Altair has opensourced Radioss into OpenRadioss (Maybe we can add it as a FEM solver?)

Post by aerospaceweeb »

Hey so, I've got professional contacts with the radioss Altair team and they're very good sports.

I personally think that if we pushed to get Radioss supported in FreeCAD they'd be completely receptive to requests for aid.

On another note, I'm also struggling to compile it at the moment, or to simply even run a test case.
Consider this a thread bump saying that y'all ain't alone in your struggles for now.
NewJoker
Veteran

Re: Altair has opensourced Radioss into OpenRadioss (Maybe we can add it as a FEM solver?)

Post by NewJoker »

aerospaceweeb wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 6:22 pm I personally think that if we pushed to get Radioss supported in FreeCAD they'd be completely receptive to requests for aid.
That would be great. Open Radioss needs a GUI and FreeCAD can be the best choice for it. However, we have to clarify the issue with no Windows version first.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Essentially this could be turned in to a dos batch script or whatever windows uses today? powershell? lol..have no idea
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
aerospaceweeb

Post by aerospaceweeb »

Okay, I've got it working but it wasn't particularly easy.

It seems like the default mode of output that they're going for in the future is going to be their h3d file, which is a proprietary altair file format.

There's another output file called a .sty file that can also be requested with the second runfile (the engine run) and I'm testing it with the birdstrike model now.

This solver is faster than anything I've ever seen before. It's incredible.
NewJoker
Veteran

Post by NewJoker »

Kunda1 wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 1:47 pm Lets see what they say: https://github.com/OpenRadioss/OpenRadioss/issues/420
For those who haven't seen it yet, they replied with some good news about Windows implementation:

We are working on this topic.
As a short term workaround, you can use the WSL (e.g. Ubuntu, which works well on my windows10 machine).
It's desribed in detail in the tutorial: "Getting Started With OpenRadioss and GitHub - Tutorial" on the OpenRadioss confluence page.
aerospaceweeb wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 1:53 am This solver is faster than anything I've ever seen before. It's incredible.
I wonder how it compares with LS-Dyna or Abaqus Explicit. I use the latter frequently, often for impact analyses.
gabokamaze

Post by gabokamaze »

NewJoker wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:31 am
I wonder how it compares with LS-Dyna or Abaqus Explicit. I use the latter frequently, often for impact analyses.
If I am not wrong, here is the story of Radioss (this is approximate, I do not say that it happened exactly like that, but it is close to) :
In the 70s, Dyna3D (dynamic explicit FEM code co-developped by Berkeley Univertsity and Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory) was (or has been) open source (do not know which licence term, see below what happends). A french company (E.S.I.) has used this code to released a commercial software called PAM-Crash in the 80s. Then, few years latter (mid-end 80s), a worker from E.S.I. deciced to leave and created another french company called MECALOG (since then bougth by Altair) and also to released a commercial software called Radioss (probably based on PAM-Crash). At the end of the 80s, one of the creator of Dyna3D (John Hallquist) created a company (LSTC) to released a commercial software called LS-Dyna (based on Dyna3D).

All in one -> LS-Dyna (LSTC), Radioss (Altair) and PAM-Crash (E.S.I.) are all based on Dyna3D and probably very close each other, then, to answer your question : Radioss is probably as fast as LS-Dyna. But, is OpenRadioss is exactly the same solver than Radioss ... ?

Anyway, Radioss is a really solid software largely used in competitive industrial domain, this is a great news for engineers, and for open-source eco-system !
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

johnwang wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 2:36 am What this 'sh' does? How I simulate it under Windows? Thanks.
basically it's unix's cmd, I know the git installer on windows comes with a bash shell so it's certainly possible to have one on windows, I think this comes from mingw, however the script itself might make calls to commands that are not available on windows. Ideally the script should be translated to powershell and use that while running on windows.

Another thing to consider, does this compile on macOS?
looo
Veteran

Post by looo »

does radioss allow gpu computation?
saso
Veteran

Post by saso »

Last edited by saso on Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
aerospaceweeb

Post by aerospaceweeb »

I just got off a call with the radioss guys.
They're all in on helping us.

They just finished a few things; one that lets gmsh make meshes for openradioss, another that makes vtk files, and yet another that makes csvs that can be read by anything.

https://github.com/OpenRadioss/OpenRadi ... main/tools

Soo yeah they're basically all in on supporting paraview, us, gmsh, and everybody else.
These guys are out to take over the world lol.
We should help them.