thermal distribution volume source

About the development of the FEM module/workbench.

Moderator: bernd

Jonas231

thermal distribution volume source

Post by Jonas231 »

Hello,
I am a beginning user of Freecad and used it to verify optical systems (objective lenses , e.g.,).
I would like to apply fem for thermo-mechanical analysis.

A laser beam shall hit a (glass volume). In this case a 3d temperature profile would result and the body would be deformed. I am wondering how to simulate this deformation and how to setup the initial temperature distribution for the fem simulation. Say I know the initial temperatue for each node, how do I input it in the fem solvers in freecad? The body is a step or iges file.

Has anyone here experience with this kind of thermo-elastical fem analysis.

Regards,
Jonas
NewJoker
Veteran

Re: thermal distribution volume source

Post by NewJoker »

Currently, FEM ConstraintInitialTemperature can be applied only to the whole model. You would have to edit the input file to define it for individual regions.

Check the wiki documentation for other constraints meant for thermal analyses - you can prescribe a temperature to a surface or define a heat flux (convective or general) acting on it. Body beat source is unfortunately supported only for Elmer solver.
Jonas231

Re: thermal distribution volume source

Post by Jonas231 »

Thank you. This resembles what I read in the wiki. How to edit the input file? How to establish body heag source in elmer / freecad?
You mean I would have to use Elmer gui?