Load parameter for force

About the development of the FEM module/workbench.

Moderator: bernd

joelmo

Load parameter for force

Post by joelmo »

In freecad 0.19. What does the load parameter for constraint force mean?

Force applied to each face
Force distributed evenly to number of faces given
Force distributed across area
jmaustpc
Veteran

Re: Load parameter for force

Post by jmaustpc »

Are you referring to FEM_ConstraintForce in the FEM workbench? That link is to the page in our wiki. The page is not complete however does contain a lot of useful information.

Note that FEM is under constant development at this time, you will find daily snapshots etc. of master (currently 0.20) will have many new features and bug fixes over the last release version of FreeCAD.
joelmo

Post by joelmo »

Yes I'm asking about Constraint Force. I don't think the documentation is clear about this. Previous versions described the parameter as "Area load". Now it's just "Load". I think this means that force is distributed across all area of the given faces.

I still want to be sure about this.
NewJoker
Veteran

Post by NewJoker »

joelmo wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:28 am
I updated the documentation page for this constraint. Among others, I added information that the force is applied uniformly to selected faces. If you select 2 faces and define one force constraint with 200 N then each face will be loaded with 100 N. You can check this if you export the inp file.
joelmo

Post by joelmo »

Force is applied uniformly to the selected area. Each face will be loaded with 100N if they have same area.
NewJoker
Veteran

Post by NewJoker »

That’s right, I forgot to mention this. Now the wiki page includes this information.