Size of constraints

About the development of the FEM module/workbench.

Moderator: bernd

HoWil
Veteran

Size of constraints

Post by HoWil »

Hallo,
I would like to change the size of the constraints symbols. They are a little bit to small when drawing in Meters and to large when doing FEM-research on micrometer scale.
Is there a easy possibility in GUI or can you implement a variable in the View-dialog to change it?
BR
PrzemoF
Veteran

Re: Size of constraints

Post by PrzemoF »

If you know C++ look here:

Code: Select all

$ ls src/Mod/Fem/Gui/ViewProviderFemConstraint* | grep cpp
src/Mod/Fem/Gui/ViewProviderFemConstraintBearing.cpp
src/Mod/Fem/Gui/ViewProviderFemConstraint.cpp
src/Mod/Fem/Gui/ViewProviderFemConstraintFixed.cpp
src/Mod/Fem/Gui/ViewProviderFemConstraintForce.cpp
src/Mod/Fem/Gui/ViewProviderFemConstraintGear.cpp
src/Mod/Fem/Gui/ViewProviderFemConstraintPressure.cpp
src/Mod/Fem/Gui/ViewProviderFemConstraintPulley.cpp
and search for things like HEIGHT, WIDTH
As far as know there is no gui (it's hardcoded). It would be nice if someone could change it, but that's a low priority item .I'd suggest to fill a ticket and hope for the best or go the DIY way.
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

Since I mostly work with big models this is a feature I'm interested too but it is not on my priority list. Would be cool if someone could be attract to solve this. I already investigated in this regard. viewtopic.php?f=18&t=9884
TinyTrouble

Post by TinyTrouble »

See also https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?t=24393 (2017)

I am a newby to FreeCAD, and my first exercise in using FEM contact constraints was not unsuccessful for a model with dimensions about 1 m.
But, my next more serious exercise was modelling a pair of meshing teeth, at a scale of a few mm. Unfortunately when I selected the master face, the constraint icons completely obscure the slave face so that I could not select it.
Contact 3.png
Contact 3.png (20.53 KiB) Viewed 1185 times
There are, of course workarounds
1 Scale the model, forces and E
2 Increase the separation between the parts, which, in this case, might be possible.
3 Push the parts into each other so that the contacting parts merge. This might be OK for pressure on the front slope of the tooth in a simple shear case, but would not allow analysis of the friction on the rear slope when there is a perpendicular load as well.

Perhaps I am being naive, but it seems to me that the problem is not that you cannot set the size of the icons, but that, although they have no physical size, they are drawn as if they do have a physical size. Ideally, as you zoom in on the model, they should not change size on the screen.

Unless there is some practical way of not using the 3D rendering engine to show them, this would mean that as you zoom in or out, you will have to adjust not only the size of the 3D representation of the constraints, but also the number and spacing of the icons along long edges, which has also been reported as a problem. https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?t=9884

As I do not have developer access, nor a Python development environment, (un)fortunately I am unable to offer to investigate the problem. :)
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Hi, @TinyTrouble you're responding to a 2015 thread. That is ages ago in FreeCAD FEM development. Just so you know we ask users to open new threads and x-ref to old threads in the new thread. Also always add your full About info (especially for fast moving developed workbenches like FEM).
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
johnwang
Veteran

Post by johnwang »

TinyTrouble wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:33 pm As I do not have developer access, nor a Python development environment, (un)fortunately I am unable to offer to investigate the problem. :)
You only need notepad under windows to develope freecad fem.
The code is under freecad/mod/fem folder.
Change the python code and restart freecad, you can see your change.

There is no version of freecad has this function to adjust size.
hfc series CAE workbenches for FreeCAD (hfcNastran95, hfcMystran, hfcFrame3DD, hfcSU2 and more)