Beginner's problems with model change

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Siltti

Beginner's problems with model change

Post by Siltti »

Dear Sirs,

I need to change my imported model into a Path document. Tried to import new Step, creted new Bodies and tried to change the job's references to the new Bodies. Result was a total mess, fortunately I was trying this with a copy file. I tried to search forum with words that discribe what I try to do, but they were rejected due to being too common, so here I am again asking for help.

So, is it even principally possible to do such update, or am I again trying something forbidden? If it is, I (and probably someone else too) would appreciate a recipe how to survive.

Best regards,

Timo
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Beginner's problems with model change

Post by chrisb »

File? Images? FreeCAD infos? What do you mean by "total mess"?
You can use the Path-Workbench directly on an imported Step object. Please note, that Path is subject to the topological naming problem.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Siltti

Post by Siltti »

Dear Sirs,

mess=my actions got my FC Path file totally mixed and I couldn't salvage it. Only option was to close it and give up. I assume there might be a method how to do what I would like to, but I couldn't get it going. Another way I see insead of changing Body, might be making new Bodies from updated input, but my attempts to copy job with operations and get them ponting to the new model were not successfull either. If here are any documents giving guidance for such operation, a link to it would be most appreciated.

Best regards,

Timo
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

Siltti wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:07 pm
Something I have learned (by experience, not the wiki) is that making changes to the basic Job parameters can sometimes cause errors even if you are doing everything perfectly.

I believe this is due to some "delete" type operations that do not get processed fully. The symptom is usually an error message that some object was already deleted or similar.

The solution is to make a simple change to the Job target (for example Body 1 to Body 2) and then immediately close the Job dialog and save the new file with a new name. Close and reopen FreeCAD. Open the saved file and then proceed with your edits.

This represents a bug of course, but it is not clear where it arises. It cannot be reliably duplicated, so there is no bug report.

Gene
Siltti

Post by Siltti »

Dear GeneFC,

thanks for your advice. I got the initial Step model changed. It really requires immediate closing FC and restating it. Problem solved so far. However another problem popped up, e.g. attached picture surface with holes and pockets which I wouldn't like to fill flat with pads because the pockets need to be cut and holes drilled later in the job.

I am not sure whether my problem is a consequence of model change or something else, but I can't use surface extensions neither with pocket nor adaptive for the large outer area leg's bottom lines. Pocket can no more be used with edge lines, I tried adaptive both with surface and edge picking. I can tag boxes to enable extensions and show all, but nothing shows up for selection in the selection window. I saved, closed FC and restarted it but with no success.

I am using FC weekly 31695-2023-01-26 in Windows 10/64. Any ideas how I could extend the surface down on the legs would be most appreciated.

Best regards,

Timo
Attachments
Neither expands.PNG
Neither expands.PNG (193.87 KiB) Viewed 704 times
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Adaptive can't do this. Mill the in a separate operation, e.g. with PathPocket+Extensions.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
jescombe

Post by jescombe »

chrisb wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:42 am Adaptive can't do this.
This genuinely puzzles me, sure it can (I even attached a screenshot in the other thread)..

It is something I've read from multiple people though, what am I missing? Perhaps it's a recent change?

As to why the needed edges aren't pickable as extensions in the new model, I don't know. From previous observations it works for me when the base geometry is a face, but not when it's multiple edges. Guess it would need a closer look at the code...
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

jescombe wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:46 am (I even attached a screenshot in the other thread)
Then it is probably best to do it in the same way, as it is done there.
Siltti

Post by Siltti »

Dear Chrisb,

I did with this updated model initially exactly as it was done before because the only change was changing inported geometry to updated one. Then I made the change in part references, saved file, exited from FC and restarted FC and opened file for correcting broken references (geometry has small changes and surface ID:s have thus changed). Earlier the surface was milled with pocket and extensions were working fine. Now the same does not work.

Only change in the model I see, is number of holes in the surface. In original model I filled two bottom holes since they were only drill through, in the new model I have to make also pockets around the holes and filling does not work because I need the bottom geometry in following operations. Could the reason of my problem be in surface edge recognition routine since internal holes add more of them to same surface?

An "ignore" function for surface internal hole and pocket edges would be most appreciated in long run for all operations, since almost always some sort of penetrations are needed in real life parts and their location chech is essential, so filling them away feels like roulette gambling.

Best regards,

Timo
Attachments
Original SB-model.PNG
Original SB-model.PNG (56.62 KiB) Viewed 617 times
New PS-model.PNG
New PS-model.PNG (54.97 KiB) Viewed 617 times
jescombe

Post by jescombe »

Siltti wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:55 am I did with this updated model
Are you able to share a FreeCAD file with your new model? Just the model body should be enough..

I'll have another look at the Adaptive & Extensions python code, see if I can work out what it doesn't like.