Memory usage

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
pathfinder

Memory usage

Post by pathfinder »

Hello,

I've noticed that FC seems to not clear up RAM but rather just piles on top of it and I wonder whether that is a know issue, whether it's OS specific, whether maybe it's intentional, whether it even is an FC issue or maybe the way my OS is set up and so on. I'm also not sure whether it's a Path thing, but since I rarely fill my RAM with the other things I do in FC, I guess this is the place to ask.

I just ran a bunch of Path operations which were very RAM heavy. Wondering why the computing time of comparable features jumped from around 2-3 minutes to 18, I checked RAM and sure enough, RAM is full and Swap needs to be used. No wonder. So when I do complex things like that, I need to regularly close and open FC to free up RAM. I'm by no means an expert, but that seems rather inefficient. Is this intended behavior?

I can imagine that I'm kind of an edge case because I don't expect many people to run 15+ 3d surfacing operations within one Project, so maybe it's usually a good thing to have stuff stay in RAM for later use or something?

This isn't version specific, I've noticed this in all versions I used. This is the one I'm using right now:

Code: Select all

Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.21.30256 (Git) AppImage
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 55866fd62221beadad3cfd60915278b156609a66
Python 3.10.6, Qt 5.15.4, Coin 4.0.0, Vtk 9.1.0, OCC 7.6.2
Locale: English/United States (en_US)
bmsaus4ax

Re: Memory usage

Post by bmsaus4ax »

pathfinder wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:30 pm Hello,

I've noticed that FC seems to not clear up RAM but rather just piles on top of it and I wonder whether that is a know issue, whether it's OS specific, whether maybe it's intentional, whether it even is an FC issue or maybe the way my OS is set up and so on. I'm also not sure whether it's a Path thing, but since I rarely fill my RAM with the other things I do in FC, I guess this is the place to ask.
It has been around for a while, came up in this thread
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 30#p500316
last year.
There was some success in this case to do with face selections.
pathfinder

Re: Memory usage

Post by pathfinder »

Good to know, thanks.