facemill problems

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
lrak

facemill problems

Post by lrak »

Very simple job - just want to face mill a bit off the top of the stock with a facemill, but lots of problems that don't make sense. - Working with Debian version 0.19

I see this in Report View:
<Path.Area> Area.cpp(1432): hit bottom -0,0,1e-06

It creates a gcode file with no machining in it.

I put a copy at https:/lrak.net/uploads/level.FCStd
Also, there is a feature to 'use start point' - I had this almost working but it insisted on plunging instead of starting horizontal-off the stock. Seems there would need to be a 'use stop point' to match this. I found 'leadinout - dressup ' but did not get it to work either - if that is what it is for?

Also - how to delete the job object so one can start over?
Also, Can I just delete the millFace operation?
Also, Can I just delete a dressup without mangling the file?

Undoing things to start over seems problematic?

Should I be using a different version? - there are Weekly builds and realthunder - but I don't want to trade one set of problems for another?
I would rather have questions that cannot be answered,
than answers that cannot be questioned’
Richard Feynman.
herbk
Veteran

Re: facemill problems

Post by herbk »

Hi,
lrak wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 4:52 am Very simple job - just want to face mill a bit off the top of the stock with a facemill, but lots of problems that don't make sense. - Working with Debian version 0.19

I see this in Report View:

It creates a gcode file with no machining in it.
Sounds to me like you are using the wrong way to export the gcode file. Don't use the Menue, use the "export to gcode" button instead.
Also - how to delete the job object so one can start over?
Yes you can delete it, just select the job an d click delete.
deleting the job delets all what's inside the job to !
Also, Can I just delete the millFace operation?
Also, Can I just delete a dressup without mangling the file?

Undoing things to start over seems problematic?
Same like above: just select the object and delete it.

As lang as you delete the last objekt of an operation there you don't have a problem. E.g. : You have a Contour OP with an Leed In dressup. If you delete the dressup you don't get a problem, if you delete the Contour the dressup gets lost to.

Should I be using a different version? - there are Weekly builds and realthunder - but I don't want to trade one set of problems for another?
Using the last devl version of FC is a good idea if using Path WB... ;-))
Gruß Herbert
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

lrak wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 4:52 am Very simple job - just want to face mill a bit off the top of the stock with a facemill, but lots of problems that don't make sense.
I believe the way you have set up the Job there is nothing to mill. You have chosen to use "Boundbox" as the Boundary Shape. Since the top surface is entirely flat there is nothing to cut.

Try using "Stock" as the Boundary Shape. That most likely represents what you are trying to accomplish.

Play with some of the other parameters as well, including depth, step-down, pattern, etc.

I was able to get a cutting path in several ways by doing these things.

Gene
lrak

Post by lrak »

Still no joy - I've tried 5 hours of things..

I think it has to do with

I found a couple of posts talking about it - have no idea what it means - running out of memory? hitting bottom of stock? Looks like a singularity problem?
Richard Feynman.
jescombe

Post by jescombe »

I think one problem is the size of the tool vs the stock? Using your file, if I select 'clear edges' in your MillFace operation then I get a path (else the operation is trying to keep the tool within the face, but the facemill is much wider). Alternatively, you could set the stock larger, and use that as the boundary shape.

Also worth noting you don't have any feeds and speeds set on the tool controller, but that wouldn't stop the gcode from being generated..
lrak

Post by lrak »

Thanks jescombe - I had just figured out it was the diameter. I miss understood the 'clear edges'. I thought it meant to not cross the edges - the opposite. .duh.

I'm missing one more detail - I want to start and stop off the work - so the face mill moves horizontal until it starts cutting and keeps going until it is clear of the work. I've tried leadinoutDressup - looks like that is for diving into a pocket - not shaving off the top of the stock? There is a way to set a start point - -- but not an end point?

I've done more complicated things than a single pass to shave off the top of the stock - but this has been puzzling. I can just write the g-code, but I wanted to learn how this worked.

Thanks again
Richard Feynman.
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

lrak wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 8:19 am I've tried leadinoutDressup - looks like that is for diving into a pocket - not shaving off the top of the stock?
I have used Leadin many times in a purely x-y motion. Try it.

Gene
freman
Veteran

Post by freman »

I can just write the g-code, but I wanted to learn how this worked.
TBH that's usually what I do. It's quicker to type in commands into a gcode sender like UGS that to do battle with FC for an hour :)

Does this answer your curiosity about how to do it with FC ? One facemill op with "material allowance". Stock larger than object.
Attachments
facemill.png
facemill.png (9.78 KiB) Viewed 1278 times
135x60-facemill-Y.FCStd
(19.57 KiB) Downloaded 32 times
Connor

Post by Connor »

I'm confused with the "One facemill op with "material allowance..." statement.

The tool tip states "The amount of material that should be left by this operation in relation to the target shape." This has nothing to do with the facemill going past the stock. Should that not be something like "Tangential Extension Distance" or perhaps a default for when facemill op is used when used with the stock Boundary Shape? I also expected the Clear Edges check box to do this, but no. To me, Material allowance would be how much stock to leave, just as the tool tips states so that we can do roughing and then finishing passes. Stock To leave would be better name, with Axial and Radial options.

Using .20.1
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

Connor wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 4:13 am I'm confused with the "One facemill op with "material allowance..." statement.
You are correct. 8-)

Gene