Awful FreeCAD performance

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
MRx

Awful FreeCAD performance

Post by MRx »

Just some gentle reminder for developers, please write somewhat performant code, the main performance issues in the Path module are:
- avoid isInside checks
- avoid extruding / cutting actions (collision detection is done that way)
- avoid getEnvelope

Those performance issues of course depend on the object, so simple objects will get away easily with the current implementation and all the automatic detection functions.
Whatever seems to be complex to a human doesn't necessarily mean that it is complex in terms of opencascade representation.

Certainly it's not always possible to avoid it but it's better to get help from the user eg. letting the user decide about the direction instead of using one of those functions.

it's just a reminder..

https://streamable.com/y8ebz1

unfortunately you won't see the mouse spinning. The action is about padding 2 holes inwards, it takes around 3 minutes.
I want to create a negative from the object for a fixture and now I'm closing one hole after each other (the main problem are possibly intersecting holes which opencascade/freecad cannot handle well enough).
It takes like a day to do that with freecad. I'm going that way and it works okay..
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Awful FreeCAD performance

Post by chrisb »

Providing the model would explain more than a video from a small extract without knowing anything about the size and complexity of the model and the computer used. Just to let you know: padding 2 holes inwards goes here in less than a second.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.