Path counterclockwise for engraving?

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Giulio Buccini

Re: Path counterclockwise for engraving?

Post by Giulio Buccini »

The use-case is very simple: to make an arbitrary path for deburring selected edges of a solid object (see http://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.p ... ead#unread).

Unfortunately, at the moment the Path-WB does not offer a vary basic functionality: the creation of your personal path by simply drawing it down as a set of 2D segments/arcs/curves.
The engraving op is what get more close to the above need. It is not perfect, but it fits at 90%.
munther_hindi

Re: Path counterclockwise for engraving?

Post by munther_hindi »

sliptonic wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:02 pm Just curious. What's the use case here? For an on-line operation like engraving climb/conventional is irrelevant. Why does the path need to go a specific direction?
I am not sure this qualifies as a use case, but I've had an occasion where I needed to control the direction of the pocketing operation and could not find an option to do it in the Pocket Shape operation, nor in the Engrave operation: I was surfacing a spoilboard with a mortizing bit and observed much more chatter when the bit was moving in one direction than in the opposite direction. (I believe this was because in the one direction the cut was behaving as a climb cut, while in the other as a conventional cut.) Because of the size constraints of my machine and the spoilboard, the only way I could enter the piece from the outside was to move along the Y-direction; however, it seemed that all the Patterns offered by the Pocketing operation produced a back and forth motion (for obvious efficiency/speed reasons), but that produced the direction-dependant chatter. What I needed to do is cut in one direction, then do a rapid move (out of the piece) to the Y-origin and then cut again in the same direction. Thanks to the scripting option in Path and the great videos @sliptonic has provided on this, I was able to script the rquired path. I think an option to provide uni-directional cutting under the milling/pocketing operation might be useful (it might be there already and I missed it!)