How to deburr selected edges only?

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
chrisb
Veteran

Re: How to deburr selected edges only?

Post by chrisb »

Thanks for this insight. It is an acceptable workaround.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Giulio Buccini

Re: How to deburr selected edges only?

Post by Giulio Buccini »

I discovered that the offset command offered by the Draft-WB is not working as expected. It makes a mess with "complicated" shapes.
Also it is very quite tedious to erase all of the unnecessary segments, since you have to "explode" the 2D-Shape, erase segments and curves you don't need, and then "re-assembly" all in a single shape again.

The right choice is to use:

- sketches for the toolpath;
- the "2D Offset" command of the Part-WB.

The big advantage of using Sketches instead of 2D shapes is that they are far more easy to edit/modify.

Here below the rough workflow I used:
Selection_7645.jpg
Selection_7645.jpg (89.7 KiB) Viewed 551 times
STEP 1
I started with my 3D object

STEP 2
I used the Draft-WB to produce a "Shape2DView"

STEP 3
I transformed the Shape2DView into a Sketch, then I have erased all of that features that don't need to be deburred, as well as useless segments.
The target in this phase is to produce not connected "islands" in order to not create troubles for the successive offset operation.

After that, I have applied the Part-WB->2D Offset operation. Obviously, the offset value depends on the size of your tool-bit and how far you want to position it from the outline of your shape.
In my case I selected 1 mm as offset value (I have a 4mm dia chamfering bit)

STEP 4
Then I made a test by selecting two arbitrary set of segments/curves for the engrave operation.
As you can see from the image, the Path-WB->Engrave op has no problems at all in generating the indicated tool path.
The Final Depth you enter for your Engrave-op depends on the offset value you choose before.

NOTE
If you look carefully, you will notice that I have even added a "Lead-In" path for the tool. Making this manually is so easy in the sketch editor!
Selection_7651.jpg
Selection_7651.jpg (34.5 KiB) Viewed 540 times

PROBLEM - PROBLEM - PROBLEM
I tried everithing, but it seems that the generated toolpath is always going in counter-clockwise directions, no matter what I do.
For closed internal paths I would like to get a clock-wise path instead. Somebody knows how to solve this issue?