Paths falsely marked as altered.

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
MRx

Re: Paths falsely marked as altered.

Post by MRx »

onekk wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:38 am
MRx wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:54 am That is part of a discussion to improve the current situation, I am working on FreeCAD also on the code trying to get things bailed out.

Do you use Path with Scripting?

Regards

Carlo D.
Like this: youtube.com/watch?v=Ic9Kip5ufDE ?
No.

I'm modifying the existing path scripts directly (so far adaptive & extensions, drilling, and currently I'm looking at the profiling scripts),
mainly PathFeatureExtensions*.py PathAdaptive*.py (and scripts where functions are borrowed).
sliptonic
Veteran

Post by sliptonic »

MRx wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:12 am
I am not adding new features, I'm basically just exposing the Z position of an existing operation
That's a new feature. The PR also targeted spot drilling at the same time which is also a new feature.
, and re-added the option to select individual circles which got removed over time and fixed some bugs.
Agreed. That is a bug fix. I have no problem accepting that but it should be broken out into a separate PR.
This has been pending for months... and it looks like there's no progress.
Bullsh*t. When it was first proposed, I explained why I was uncomfortable going forward in this direction. In the meantime, I wrote the drilling generator (and unit tests for same.) I also refactored the operation to use the generator. I asked for testers for this and got no response.
For the adaptive toolpath:
- do not create a path when someone just clicks onto adaptive, let the user first apply some settings and click onto apply to create it.
Sounds good. Send PR.
- rework the extensions
Fine. But this is a much bigger issue. The extensions logic must be abstracted out of the operations so it works the same everywhere.
- do not recompute path operations just by enabling / disabling the corresponding path; Still maintain some dirty flag in the background if it's just disabled - disable it if it's enabled just enable it, maybe ask the user if he wants to recompute the item if he enables it.
Easier said than done. Recompute behavior comes from the greater FreeCAD architecture. We should be able to improve this but I don't want to implement 'some dirty flag' as a band-aid unless the flag can be implemented in the abstract base class.
- Fix the path options menu, opening / closing it will result in a complete recomputation of all paths (eg. when adding a tool or when reordering or moving an operation inside).
This sounds like the same thing as above.

Looking back over the list, it looks like you're identifying specific bugs to be fixed and features to be added. Some of those bugs have deep root causes but you haven't given a plan for addressing them. Just saying, "fix the path options menu" doesn't diagnose the root cause or show how to do it.

On another note. Remember, this Path section of the forum is part of the Development area. I'm getting frustrated by the recent trend of hijacking threads to talk about some unrelated pet issue. It's making it harder to stay focused. I find myself ignoring the forum more and more because the discussion is scattered.
onekk wrote: onekk
If you want to talk about Path script-ability, please start or continue a top level topic an focus your efforts there.
MRx wrote: MRx
Same thing with issues of recompute time, extensions, etc
onekk
Veteran

Post by onekk »

MRx wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:02 am I'm modifying the existing path scripts directly (so far adaptive & extensions, drilling, and currently I'm looking at the profiling scripts),
mainly PathFeatureExtensions*.py PathAdaptive*.py (and scripts where functions are borrowed).
OK, thanks
GitHub page: https://github.com/onekk/freecad-doc.
- In deep articles on FreeCAD.
- Learning how to model with scripting.
- Various other stuffs.

Blog: https://okkmkblog.wordpress.com/